The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>,
	Computer Old Farts Followers <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] screen editors
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 20:02:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Clem Cole wrote in <CAC20D2NnR81koGXkGydDxHgzK-P+NzYDf3oX2vwXnbK0kArOAg@\
mail.gmail.com>:
 |Answering, but  CCing COFF if folks want to continue.  This is less \
 |about UNIX and more about how we all got to where we are.

To me endless undo of vim is great, and i am used to it.  I think
i could compile a version from ~20 years ago, supposed to be much
smaller, and i would be ok with it.  You have other windows open,
ok, but you have typed this in a browser that consumes more memory
than all the programs running here altogether have (real), within
a codebase that consists of millions and millions lines of code.
I mean hey, even though decades of development and tens of
thousands of eyes passed, i see super simple compiler errors in
gcc and clang, and except for optimization maybe not that much
improvement in useful diagnostics, even though the executables
are 150 times and more greater than that.

For example i have a netrc parser which uses a fixed size target
buffer, in a 90 lines function, with comments, empty lines, and
a static structure of token types to test-iterate against, and
with a possibly *off++=by;*off='\0'; one, but it took
a Coverity.com run to detect it.  (Actually it is worse, because
this code is from 2014, and it seems only the combination of gcc
8.3.0 and the current cov-analysis-linux64-2019.03 could find it;
not in August, when i checked for the second to last, but only for
the last check.)

 |Let me take a look at this issue in a different way.   I have long \
 |been a 'car guy' and like many of those times in my youth spent time \
 |and money playing/racing etc. I've always thought electric was a
 |great idea/but there has been nothing for me. Note: As many of you \
 |know my work in computers has been in HPC, and I've been lucky to spend \
 |a lot of time with my customers, in the auto and aerospace
 |industry (i.e. the current Audi A6 was designed on one of my supercomputer \
 |systems).  The key point is have tended to follow technology in their \
 |area and tend to "in-tune" with a lot of developments.
 |The result, except for my wife's minivan (that she preferred in the \
 |years when our kids were small), I've always been a die-hard German-eng\
 |ineered/performance car person.  But when Elon announced
 |the Model 3 (like 1/2 the techie world), I put down a deposit and waited.
 |
 |Well why I was waiting, my techie daughter (who also loves cars), got \
 |a chance to drive one.   She predicted I would hate it!!! So when my \
 |ticket finally came up, I went to drive them.  She was right!!!
 |With the Model 3, you get a cool car, but it's about the size of a \
 |Corrolla.  Coming from Germans cars for the last 35 years, the concept \
 |of spending $60K US in practice for a Corrolla just did not do it
 |for me.   I ended up ordering the current Unixmobile, my beloved Tesla \
 |Model S/P100D.

Corolla is not $60K. So you want 500 horse power, maybe.

 |The truth is, I paid a lot of money for it but I value what I got for \
 |my money. A number of people don't think it's worth it.  I get that, \
 |but I'm still happy with what I have.   Will there someday be a
 |$20K electric car like my Model S?  While I think electric cars will \
 |get there (I point out the same price curve on technology such microwave \
 |ovens from the 1970so today), but I actually doubt that there
 |will be a $20K electric vehicle like my Model S.

Well, lucky you that you can and want to spend that much money for
a, hm, car.

 |The reason is that to sell this car because it as to be expensive for \
 |technology-based reasons, so Tesla had to add a lot of 'luxury' features \
 |like other cars in the class, other sports cars, Mercedes,
 |  et al.  As they removed them (i.e. the Model 3) you still get a cool \
 |car, but it's not at all the same as the Model S.   So the point is, \
 |if I wanted an electric car, I had to choose between a
 |performance/luxury vs. size/functionality.  I realized I valued the \
 |former (and still do), but I understand not everyone does or will.

So i for one _totally_ - totally! - disagree.  It really drives me
up the wall.  You drive around with a 600 kilogramm or even
heavier battery.  You car is about 2000 kilogram.  That is a lot
of resource that needs to be digged, transported, assembled
.. recycled, as far as that is possible.  It increases the load on
the streets, you know, trucks have a factor of an impact higher
than cars.  I mean, in America the difference is maybe not that
big since the average car is very big on its own, i think a pick
up is the most-selled car there for many years, with each instance
being worth at least 2 of the German and Austrian etc. top seller.
You can add to that entire Europe, including England.

The entire car community did know at the end of the 80s
/ beginning of the 90s what is necessary for better Otto and
Diesel engines, and as of today, thirty years later!, not all
engines are actually using these technologies.  There is nothing
new at all regarding technology, nothing!, except of course
materials engineering and robotics.  That is a political
declaration of bankruptcy.  And i hate BMW top managers starting
over with "the problem is not the SUV driver, the problem is the
15 year old family shooting brake".  That is antisocial, ignorant,
reckless and homicidal.

And it was clear what the future after those combustion engines
will be, and that is hydrogen.  That is fuell cell and tank in
sandwich floor, with wheel hub motors.  The latter has always been
my favourite, even though it could increase moved mass, but i do
not know.  So 120 years after wheel hub we choose two on-axe to
reduce production cost.  That is composite material.  Luckily even
some market-based industries have shown the fertility and will to
develop further beyond what was there about 120 years ago,
unfortunately we the Germans not, except for rare military
developments, also decades ago.  I said 26 years ago the best
would be if each and every citizen would gain such a chassis, and
the body would be up to each and everyone, [why not] with some
"Trabant 601 based default".

Even Tesla was interesting, fifteen or so years ago.  Because they
used the Lotus Elite chassis, which is about <800 Kilogramm.
I personally am and always have been a total fan of Chapman's
Philosophy, the lighter, the more beautiful.   And if you want
comfort and industrial mass production, take the Mazda MX-5, it is
1000 Kilogramm, and has 160 horse power.  Your Tesla is still more
powerful, because it has more than 320 horse power, but it is much
heavier around the corners, and much much less swift.  Of course,
i see here in Germany in practice all men above 50 need their SUV
now (thanks America for this future relevant trend), and they look
relaxed, meaningful, potent.  Yet they are not.  See above.  And
they are not, beyond that.  They reflect reckless degeneration.
Yes, the white men's sperm production has halved, their allergies
and woewoes have increased, their abuse of substances is enormous,
and different to normal native human beings, entirely senseless
and not embedded into any cultural surroundings.

I mean, the heck.  This wave has started, we now already explore
digging much more of the necessary resources in the Atacama and
maybe already in some Portuguese nature resource.  We have
interesting things which are maybe ok, like the Honda e.  In the
ever growing mega cities with the necessary infrastructure "i
allow you to" use such city cars.  It may make sense.  What does
not make sense is installing thousands of kilometers of copper
cable to build up an infrastructure for high voltage battery
filling.  Really.  That is copper.  You know how much resources
are required to produce copper?  And in third countries our
industry does not even give the minimum shit and uses the cheap
most poisening elements to do its dirty work.  No!

Yes, just this week i think the German "Die Zeit" had an article
on trash, trash everywhere, the trash island in the pacific is now
as large as Texas they said, i know i have read about this island
of trash in an early 80s book on open sea (sailing) accidents at
the friend of my father, about 35 years ago, i blindly assume it
was smaller by then.  So only the one copper factory in Germany he
was writing about produces more Trash than all European households
altogether.  That is just one.  No!

But there you go along with batteries.  I mean they (Tesla) seem
to have made their homework regarding crash safety, though i also
disliked the crash test standards 26 years ago, and still back
crashs are not tested, and they bang a solid cube regardless of
the misalignment of at least the major masses that happens in
practice if an Escalade hits an AMC Pacer.  They seem to have
created a new user experience that is also much cheaper to build
(i do not like it), the cars have a tremendous power, and
California has a nifty Energy Mix and infrastructure to satisfy
full throttle fun.  (Maybe.)

I admit i was happy once a german car manager said dismissive
words about Tesla (yesyesyes!), but again, just to find out they
were doing and heading out for exactly the same.  Except battery
technology, maybe.  Yes, i think the Porsche Taycan has an
interesting design, i like especially the profile, i could maybe
even like the interieur, for that one, but it is too heavy and
uses the wrong technology.  And no wood.

I for one would not spend that much money for a car anyway, but
if, definitely not like that.  If i buy a CRV Hybrid, or a Suzuki
Vitara, then i can buy a Caterham, a Lotus Elise, and almost
a Morgan 3-Wheeler all in addition to end up at that price.  See,
the latter three are almost hand-built by human beings which
perform craftsmanship, they do real jobs, and can go home prowd or
at least somewhat fullfilled.  Small companies.  Buying and
refining mass production engines (here Ford, Toyota, and S&S).
And the CRV technology will at later times simply replace the
combustion engine with a fuell cell.  And it has some natural
thing in it, a wooden strip.

I personally like the Vitara, because it is only 1300 kilogramm,
can tow enough for me, has a glass roof that can be opened, has
LED lamps, does not contain any leather (no more), and if they
will use the cylinder deactivation that i demanded almost thirty
years ago, and maybe bring in the little Hybrid system they now
introduce to their Ignis and Swift, i would go for it.  The new
Subaru Forester has a 16.7 horsepower electrical add-on.  Enough
for city traffic jam stop and go!  Fiat has the wonderful
two-cylindre engine in Panda and 500, 85 to 105 horsepower.
A wonderful engine!  Ford also, it has a wonderful three-cylindre
engine.  (I am talking Europe here, mind you.)  And next year --
and here it comes!  -- next year Toyota will come over with the
new Mirai, real fuel-cell, refined, and not as a SUV!, and i think
i will buy myself that one.

 |Coming back to our topic, I really don't think this is a 'get my lawn' \
 |issue as much, as asking someone what they really value/what they really \
 |need.   If you place a high-value you something, you will
 |argue that its best; if it has little value you will not.

In the end all that is industrial shit.  If you are a lucky man
you are science or worked at Bell Labs.  The rest is all
industrial shit, may it be pharmacy or medicine or whatever else.
With all the little ones trying to get their place at the sun,
recklessly.  It is up to everyone to work on its own reflection
and awareness, and to bring that work into all the many which are
incapable to or uninterested in doing that.  And unfortunately
most do not.  They are never shown, too, which makes me sad.

I will now listen to the Westminster Abbey chorus singing Miserere
mei Deus, just to let you know.  And think how it must have been
by then, with simplemost illnesses and wounds killing everyone
from poor to rich, and with bad weather or other pest causing
starvation and death, with regional food only, if you were lucky,
not kilos of meat with cost backlog every day, when in early
morning hours in a dark church the first sunlight would fall
through handcrafted art- and passionful windows.

 --End of <CAC20D2NnR81koGXkGydDxHgzK-P+NzYDf3oX2vwXnbK0kArOAg@mail.gmail\
 .com>

--steffen