The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] screen editors / machine load
@ 2020-01-10 15:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2020-01-10 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > When Bernie Greenberg did EMACS for Multics, he had a similar issue. I
    > recall reading a document with an extensive discussion of how they dealt
    > with this ... If anyone's really interested in this, and can't find it
    > themselves, I can try looking for it.

I got a request for this; a Web search turned up:

  https://www.multicians.org/mepap.html

which covers the points I mentioned (and more besides, such as why LISP was
chosen). I don't think this is the thing I remembered (which was, IIRC, an
informal note), but it does seem to be a later version of that.

	 Noel

* Re: [TUHS] screen editors / machine load
@ 2020-01-11  0:30             ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2020-01-11  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thornton; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Fri, 10 Jan 2020 at 17:19, Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> wrote:

> A) The original WD UART chip had very limited buffering.   The timing was
> such that as high rates it could not empty accept a second character
> without the first being overwritten.  This was a long-standing issue for
> many UARTs long in the 1990s.  The original chip NS built and IBM used on
> the PC (the NS8250) was notorious for the same problem.  By the time of
> Motorola's 6881, it had 8 characters of buffering IIRC.
>
> Great, now I'm having flashbacks to upgrading my 4-port serial card with
> 16450s and then 16550s in the early 90s.

Yep, same sorts of memories here.  I recall the 16450 upgrade being a big
deal for Internet connectivity in that a PC lacking the extra bytes of
buffering in the UART would find that the 80386 was having clock cycles
eaten nearly completely by PPP connections.
It was amazing to realize how a few bytes of memory lurking in a crucial
system interface could affect performance in such dramatic ways.
Tagged command queueing on SCSI controllers had a slightly less dramatic
effect on I/O performance, but again, a few hundred bytes of memory in the
right spot could nevertheless have dramatic effects.

* Re: [TUHS] screen editors / machine load
@ 2020-01-10 22:18           ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2020-01-10 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2020-01-10 15:48         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-01-10 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary Ann Horton; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2020-01-10 15:00       ` Mary Ann Horton
From: Mary Ann Horton @ 2020-01-10 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Yes, it was a real concern. Physical memory on the shared PDP-11 was
limited, and if everyone had a separate copy of vi running the machine
would swap itself silly.

This only mattered if everyone had their own separate copy of vi
installed. The fix was to put vi in a single system directory, such as
/usr/ucb or /exptools. The instruction part of its memory would be
shared among all the users, resulting in much less swapping.

In the early days, people tended to have their own personal copy because
the Berkeley tools did not come standard with UNIX, especially at Bell
Labs. That was one of the main motivations for Exptools (the
"experimental tools"), which were basically 2BSD's applications and some
other tools like Warren Montgomery's emacs. Disk space and people's time
spend installing were also good reasons.

     Mary Ann

@ 2020-01-10 14:35 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2020-01-10 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Otto Moerbeek <otto@drijf.net>

    > I believe it was not only vi itself that was causing the load, it was
    > also running many terminals in raw mode that killed performance.

I'm not familiar with the tty driver in late versions of Unix like 4.1 (sic),
but I'm very familiar with the one in V6, and it's not the raw mode _itself_
that caused the load (the code paths in the kernel for cooked and raw aren't
that different), but rather the need to wake up and run a process on every
character that was the real load.

When Bernie Greenberg did EMACS for Multics, he had a similar issue. I recall
reading a document with an extensive discussion of how they dealt with this,
especially when using the system over the ARPANET. IIRC, normal printing
characters were echoed without waking up the process; remotely, when using
the network. If anyone's really interested in this, and can't find it themselves,
I can try looking for it.

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] screen editors / machine load
@ 2020-01-10 13:56       ` Otto Moerbeek
From: Otto Moerbeek @ 2020-01-10 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Markowski; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 08:41:53AM -0500, Mike Markowski wrote:

> [2020-01-09 08:49] Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
> > > I had a boss once who insisted that all his staff learn "ed",
> > > because one day it might be the only editor available; he was
> > > right...
> >

> I first used Unix on a pdp-11/70 in 1981, first year at university.  My
> professor stopped by the computing center to see how his students were
> doing - super nice of him and a perk to pre-PC times! - and was showing me
> something or other regarding Unix.  I had only used ed to that point and
> seeing him fire up vi was practically sci-fi to me.  He showed me a few
> commands and vowed me to secrecy for fear if all students started using it,
> it would bring the 11/70 to its knees.  Were multiple vi sessions really
> such a potential burden to the machine?  I wouldn't think so with the slow
> nature of human i/o, yet there certainly were times when the pdp-11/70
> crashed as project due dates loomed closer and closer!
>
> Also, I very much enjoy this list.  As an EE I use Unix-like OSes as a tool
> rather being a builder of the tool like many here.  So I don't have the
> deep background to contribute to the collective history, but I'm on the
> sidelines enjoying the show.  As a brief tie-in to the editor comparisons,
> I do a lot of DSP work for RF systems these days.  Python makes it quick
> and easy to try new math, but has a maddening requirement that indentation
> be strictly tabs or strictly spaces.  Text window pasting into a tab
> indented python file wreaks havoc.  vim yank/put between split windows
> retains the type of white space and lets me use my vi muscle memory.
>
> Happy 2020,
> Mike Markowski

In my first year at university (1984) we had a VAX-11/750 running
4.1BSD with too many students. We had to switch to ex once in a while
to get any editing done. I believe it was not only vi itself that was
causing the load, it was also running many terminals in raw mode that
killed performance.

	-Otto

* Re: [TUHS] screen editors / machine load
@ 2020-01-10 13:41     ` Mike Markowski
From: Mike Markowski @ 2020-01-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list