The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Unix quix
@ 2020-01-22 18:42 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2020-01-22 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Warner Losh

    > this predates everything except Whirlwind which I can't find a paper for.

Given the 'Whirlwind is a ringer' comment, I asssume this:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlwind_I<

is what they mean.

Pretty interesting machine, if you study its instruction set, BTW; with no
stack, subroutines are 'interesting'.

   Noel

* Re: [TUHS] Unix quix
@ 2020-01-24 19:38 Nelson H. F. Beebe
From: Nelson H. F. Beebe @ 2020-01-24 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 1/22/20, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

> Pretty interesting machine, if you study its instruction set, BTW; with no
> stack, subroutines are 'interesting'.

Another machine family like that was the CDC 6x00 and 7x00 machines of
the late 1960s and early 1970s.

I worked on a CDC 6400 for a few years.  A call was done by storing
the return address in the first word of the called routine, and
jumping to its second word.  The return was done with an indirect jump
through the first word.

That was fine for Fortran, which at the time had no concept of
recursion.  However, Urs Ammann implemented a compiler for Niklaus
Wirth's Pascal language on a CDC 6400 (or 6600) in Zurich, and he had
to simulate a stack.  See

	On Code Generation in a PASCAL Compiler
	Software --- Practice and Experience 7(3) 391--423 May/June 1977
	https://doi.org/10.1002/spe.4380070311

I have read that article in the past, but don't have download access
from our academic library to get a copy to refresh my memory.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -

* Re: [TUHS] Unix quix
@ 2020-01-22 20:49 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-01-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

The first edition ran on pdp-11, not pdp-7.

Tukey buttered parsnips at the labs, but Brits did
so several centuries before.

Contrary to urban legend, patent was not invoked to
justify the Unix pdp-11; word-processing was. The
quiz does not make this mistake.

The phototypesetter did not smell. The chemicals
for (externally) devoloping photo paper did.

Shahpazian is Dick Shahpazian; Maranzano is Joe Maranzano.

cagbef addresses out of bounds.

I appreciate Rob's discretion about the Waterloo theft.

Doug

* [TUHS] Unix quix
@ 2020-01-20 20:28 Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2020-01-20 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)