The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?
@ 2020-02-20  0:06 Ed Carp
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Ed Carp @ 2020-02-20  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't look
like he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray Tomlinson. Looks
like he's trying to create some press for his Senate run.

Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny? Thanks!

* Re: [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?
@ 2020-02-20  0:11 ` Deborah Scherrer
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Deborah Scherrer @ 2020-02-20  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

A version of email was included in the original DARPA version of the
internet.  This was early 1970s.  In fact, when we played with and
evaluated it at Lawrence Berkeley Lab, our report noted that the
internet would probably not be very useful for exchanging scientific
files (as had been the original purpose).  However, we did note that
email might become very useful.   ;-)

Deborah

On 2/19/20 4:06 PM, Ed Carp wrote:
> I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
> Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't look
> like he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray Tomlinson. Looks
> like he's trying to create some press for his Senate run.
>
> Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny? Thanks!

* Re: [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?
@ 2020-02-20  0:18 ` Ken Thompson via TUHS
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ken Thompson via TUHS @ 2020-02-20  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Carp; +Cc: tuhs

i first saw email (between users on a single cpu) in 64/65.
a leap to bigger things was natural as soon as cpus talked
to each other. i first saw this in 78/79 with uucp.

@ 2020-02-20  0:39   ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2020-02-20  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deborah Scherrer; +Cc: TUHS main list

Email was in the EMAS system in Edinburgh university very soon after
full multiaccess services were released, Certainly by the early 1970s.
By the time VMS was released, email between nodes was a fact of life.
JANET had email in the coloured book series. It was ubiquitous by the
late 1970s.

It is important not to mistake the formal syntactic mechanism of
saying who you are mailing, with where they are, as a definition of
user@host, the actual mechanism of saying "send this to <x>" can be
completely decoupled from having names, host names, domain names or
any analogous construct. Mail existed long before we had to do
"shebang" paths, and I mean mail between discrete, independent
computers.

-George

@ 2020-02-20  0:40 ` Richard Salz
From: Richard Salz @ 2020-02-20  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Carp; +Cc: tuhs

He's a loon.  Search for the techdirt.com articles.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 7:07 PM Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
> Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't look
> like he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray Tomlinson. Looks
> like he's trying to create some press for his Senate run.
>
> Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny? Thanks!

* Re: [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-20  0:46 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-02-20  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020, Ed Carp wrote:

> I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
> Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't look like
> he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray Tomlinson. Looks like he's
> trying to create some press for his Senate run.
>
> Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny? Thanks!

Ray Tomlinson is said to have first used the "@" symbol, but email as such
certainly existed before then; I first used it in the 70s on an IBM 360,
but it was definitely already in use at the time.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-02-20  2:12 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-02-20  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Carp; +Cc: tuhs

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 06:06:26PM -0600, Ed Carp wrote:
> I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
> Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't look
> like he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray Tomlinson. Looks
> like he's trying to create some press for his Senate run.
>
> Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny? Thanks!

Over to COFF for this :-)

Thanks all, Warren