The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: Unix V0 on SIMH PDP-9
@ 2020-02-23 20:27 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-02-23 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

All, I received this interesting e-mail from Michael Thompson:
-----

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 12:50:12 -0500
From: Michael Thompson <michael.99.thompson@gmail.com>
To: Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org>
Subject: Unix V0 on SIMH PDP-9

   I modified the PDP-7 .simh file so it will run on a SIMH PDP-9.
   (attached)
   We have a running PDP-9 at the RICM. If I added EAE, (we likely have
   the necessary parts) and made a disk emulator like the one at the LCM,
   we could also run UNIX V0 on it. It would be nice to have the disk
   emulator emulate an RB disk, but that would also require emulating a
   DMA adapter.
   I am considering making an FPGA to emulate the memory controller and
   32KW of memory. If I did that, I could put the RB and DMA emulation in
   the same device.
   --
   Michael Thompson

----- End forwarded message -----

set cpu 8k
set cpu eae
set cpu history=100
show cpu

# set up SIMH devices:

# UNIX character translations (CR to NL, ESC to ALTMODE):
set tti unix

# RB09 fixed head disk:
set rb ena
att rb image.fs

# enable TELNET in GRAPHICS-2 keyboard/display(!!)
#set g2in ena
#att -U g2in 12345

# disable hardware UNIX-7 doesn't know about:
set lpt disa
set drm disa
set dt disa
set mt disa
set rf disa
set ttix disa
set ttox disa

# show device settings:
show dev

# load and run the paper tape bootstrap
# (loads system from disk)
load boot.rim 010000
go

Cheers, Warren

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-02-23 20:27 UTC | newest]