On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 at 14:18:08 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote: > > The "ls" command for example really needs an option-ectomy; I find that I > don't really care about the exact number of bytes there are in a file as > the nearest KiB or MiB (or even GiB) is usually good enough, so I'd be > happy if "-h" was the default with some way to turn it off (yes, I know > that it's occasionally useful to add them all up in a column, but that > won't tell you how many media blocks are required). A good example. But you're not removing options, you're just redefining them. In fact I find the -h option particularly emetic, so a better choice in removing options would be to remove -h and use a filter to mutilate the sizes: $ ls -l | humanize But that's a pain, isn't it? That's why there's a -h option for people who like it. Note that you can't do it the other way round: you can't get the exact size from -h output. And then there's the question why you don't like the standard output. Because the number strings are too long and difficult to read, maybe? That's the rationale for the -, option. > Quickly now, without looking: which option shows unprintable > characters in a filename? Unless you use it regularly (in which > case you have real problems) you would have to look it up; I find > that "ls ... | od -bc" to be quicker, especially on filenames with > trailing blanks etc (which "-B" won't show). This is arguably a bug in the -B option. I certainly don't think the pipe notation is quicker. But it's nice to have both alternatives. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA