On Thursday, 12 March 2020 at 17:48:07 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote: > On 2020-Mar-11 20:53:12 -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote: >> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: >>> a better choice in removing options would be to remove -h and use a >>> filter to mutilate the sizes: >>> >>> $ ls -l | humanize > > How does humanize decide which column to work on? It knows. It was written that way. > If it only works on "ls -l", then it's not useful if I want other > columns as well. Right. You'd have to change it. Recall that this was just an example. > Maybe it could just humanize any large number it found, but you > probably don't want to "humanize" the inode number or filename. Yes, this is exactly the scenario I described in an earlier mail message, where I called it $ ls -l | commafy 5 Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA