On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 at 23:34:46 -0400, Steve Nickolas wrote: > On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: >> -S isn't POSIX. And to implement it without an option would mean >> removing -h. > > -h is a gnuism, isn't it? It might have originated there, but then I would expect it to be spelt '--produce-human-readable-output'. I haven't been able to establish from the FreeBSD sources or commit logs when it was introduced. It would clearly have been a reimplementation. > https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/ls.html does > specify the -S switch. That's POSIX, isn't it? So it is! This was the first option that I wanted to add, back when I still had practice wheels. I asked my mentor, and he said "not the Unix way", so I let it be. Then Wes Peters came up with the idea, and I thought he committed it, but it seems that it ultimately came from Kostas Blekos in 2005, based on the same feature on NetBSD and OpenBSD. I wonder when it made it to POSIX. >> As I mentioned earlier, -t can't be done by a filter without >> significantly modifying the timestamp output. That was my rationale >> for the -D option, which allows sorting by an external filter. > > Understandable. > > Honestly if the date format weren't standardized as it were, I would've > standardized on "yyyy-mm-dd,mm:ss" - which wouldn't need special > processing in order to pump into sort(1). Yes, that was one of the possibilities I thought of. Another obvious one was time_t, which is even easier to process. And then there's ISO 8601. That's why it didn't take me long to decide "do it *your* way” with the -D option. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA