On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 05:22:57PM -0600, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote: > On 3/8/20 9:13 AM, Derek Fawcus wrote: > > Now what would have been useful is a way to have distinct fd's for the > > local read and write end of (e.g.) a TCP socket - such that one > > direction could be closed w/o closing the other. > > I believe that this can be done, now. At least I've read that it's possible > for one end to close (FIN) a TCP connection without the other end also > closing. Thus you end up with the one-way data flow that is still ACKed the > way that TCP does. Yep, in the next sentence Derek mentioned "dispense with shutdown", meaning the shutdown(2) syscall that does exactly that. What he meant was, wouldn't it be nice to be able to do that with close(2) instead? G'luck, Peter -- Peter Pentchev roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com PGP key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115 C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13