The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14 15:10 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> OK, I've dug out my copies. They have perforated, 3-hole punched pages
>  I can't find any obvious typesetting errors.

That sets my mind at rest after three decades. What I saw
back in the day was littered with @ signs, and was not punched
for a ring binder. Thanks for checking.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14 22:03       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-14 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Mynott; +Cc: TUHS main list

I have the following 5 books:

The Unix Operating System Book by Mike Banahan and Andy Rutter (Copyright
1983)
A Unix Primer by Ann Nicols Lomuto & Nico Lomuto (Copyright 1983)
The Unix System by SR Borne (Copyright 1983)
Introducing the Unix System by Henry McGilton and Rachel Morgan (Copyright
1983)
A User Guide to the Unix System by Rebecca Thomas and Jean Yates (Copyright
1982)

The last one is quite interesting because it has a 13 page annotated
bibliography. Here's the earlier books:

Information and Publication Division. The UNIX System. An Easier Way to
Communicate with Computers." 1979. This has a similar title to an article
by SP Morgan in Bell Laboratories Record 56 (1978).  The rest are all
clearly articles in journals and magazines back to the original in 75.

And I have the following on the way that's been mentioned before:
Using the Unix System by Richard Gauthier Command Computer Programming 1981

So there's at least 2 books that pre-date Borne's book, maybe more. There's
a second Banahan book that I ordered, but didn't get that claims to be
1982. Trying to get to the bottom of that... All of the above are tutorials
to varying degrees, though I've only reviewed the Lomuto and Thomas/Yates
books in any detail. None appear to have useful additional historic
information.

The McGilton/Morgan book is the oldest one I've seen talk about Berkeley
Unix system. The chapter was written in the spring of 1982.

And there's this gem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvDZLjaCJuw that I've
seen before here I think, which is dated 1982 and is a film with the same
title "he UNIX System. An Easier Way to Communicate with Computers" as one
of the items above, so I wonder if that's this film or a paper copy of it.
It's clearly Bell Labs related, though.

Warner

@ 2020-04-14 20:32     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Mynott; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2020-04-14 15:27   ` Steve Mynott
From: Steve Mynott @ 2020-04-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nemo Nusquam; +Cc: TUHS main list

--
Steve Mynott <steve.mynott@gmail.com>
cv25519/ECF8B611205B447E091246AF959E3D6197190DD5

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14  5:38   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-14  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Doug McIlroy

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 11:31 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 22:13:17 -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> >
> > Those were the only two that were published as trade books. I still use
> > the 10th Ed regularly. The 7th Ed was a debacle. The publisher didn't
> > bother to send us galleys because they had printed straight from troff.
> > It turned out they did not have the full troff character set, and put
> > an @ sign in place of each missing character. The whole print run was
> > done before we saw a copy. Not knowing whether they ever fixed it, I'd
> > be interested to hear whether or not the botch made it to bookstores.
>
> OK, I've dug out my copies.  Two volumes, published by CBS College
> publishing, aka Holt, Rinehart and Winston in 1982, both titled "UNIX
> Programmer's Manual".  Volume 1 (ISBN 0-03-061742-1) was the man
> pages, and volume 2 (ISBN 0-03-061743-X) was the supplementary docs,
> starting with “7th Edition UNIX — Summary†, dated September 6, 1978.
> They have perforated, 3-hole punched pages, clearly intended to be
> torn out and put into a three-ring binder.
>
> I've skimmed through both of them, and I can't find any obvious
> typesetting errors.  "Typesetting Mathematics" shows some quite
> complicated equations.  And in the quick reference in volume 1, all
> the troff special characters seem right, even up to less common
> characters such as \(bs.  Is there anything specific that I should
> look for?  Scans available if they would help.

Mine are like that too. Maybe it was just wrong for the first printing?

Warner

Greg

@ 2020-04-14  5:30 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2020-04-14  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug McIlroy; +Cc: tuhs

On Monday, 13 April 2020 at 22:13:17 -0400, Doug McIlroy wrote:

> Those were the only two that were published as trade books. I still use
> the 10th Ed regularly. The 7th Ed was a debacle. The publisher didn't
> bother to send us galleys because they had printed straight from troff.
> It turned out they did not have the full troff character set, and put
> an @ sign in place of each missing character. The whole print run was
> done before we saw a copy. Not knowing whether they ever fixed it, I'd
> be interested to hear whether or not the botch made it to bookstores.

OK, I've dug out my copies.  Two volumes, published by CBS College
publishing, aka Holt, Rinehart and Winston in 1982, both titled "UNIX
Programmer's Manual".  Volume 1 (ISBN 0-03-061742-1) was the man
pages, and volume 2 (ISBN 0-03-061743-X) was the supplementary docs,
starting with “7th Edition UNIX — Summary”, dated September 6, 1978.
They have perforated, 3-hole punched pages, clearly intended to be
torn out and put into a three-ring binder.

I've skimmed through both of them, and I can't find any obvious
typesetting errors.  "Typesetting Mathematics" shows some quite
complicated equations.  And in the quick reference in volume 1, all
the troff special characters seem right, even up to less common
characters such as \(bs.  Is there anything specific that I should
look for?  Scans available if they would help.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14  2:13 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-14  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> Indeed the Unix manuals were available as printed books.  Volume One was
the manual pages and Volume Two the articles from /usr/doc.  I remember
seeing soft-cover bound copies of the 7th Edition manuals, ...
> I think the next time this happened in the exact same way was with the
"Unix Research System Tenth Edition" books published by Saunders College
Publishing in 1990.

@ 2020-04-08 22:23               ` Greg A. Woods
From: Greg A. Woods @ 2020-04-08 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Mon, 6 Apr 2020 10:51:05 -0400, ron@ronnatalie.com wrote:
Subject: Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership

> > I tried an ngram search on google, and came up with the following:
> >
> > Richard L. Gauthier. October 1981. Using the Unix System, Reston
> > Publishing
> > Co.  ISBN 978-0835981644.
> >

> Gosh, I'd forgotten about Gauthier, perhaps the worst UNIX book ever written.

I was going to mention this book as one I thought might be the first
book on Unix for a truly general readership.  I bought a copy in 1982.

Not a very good book indeed.  Horribly typeset.  Content reminds me of
many of the early poor-quality O'Reilly books.

But it was available in 1981, a few years before K&P's almost infinitely
greater "TUPE" (though TUPE is targeted far more to programmers than
general users).

--
					Greg A. Woods <gwoods@acm.org>

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>     Avoncote Farms <woods@avoncote.ca>

[-- Attachment #2: OpenPGP Digital Signature --]

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-08 22:16         ` Greg A. Woods
From: Greg A. Woods @ 2020-04-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

At Tue, 7 Apr 2020 11:42:51 +0100, Derek Fawcus <dfawcus+lists-tuhs@employees.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 07:57:55PM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote:
> >
> > The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really published as a book)
>
> A bit later on but...
>
> I'm prettry sure I managed to read the man pages published as a book while
> at Uni, so between '86 and '90.  I found it in the University Library.
>
> It was published by Western Electric, and had either a dark blue or black cover.

Indeed the Unix manuals were available as printed books.  Volume One was
the manual pages and Volume Two the articles from /usr/doc.  I remember
seeing soft-cover bound copies of the 7th Edition manuals, first in
someone's collection, then for sale, probably in the Computer Literacy
bookshop on Lawrence in Sunnyvale, I think with a dark red cover on the
ones I saw there.  For some reason I never acquired a copy (probably
because by then I already had several other sets of Unix manuals,
including a complete set of boxed AT&T manuals.

I think the next time this happened in the exact same way was with the
"Unix Research System Tenth Edition" books published by Saunders College
Publishing in 1990.  (Which I probably bought at Computer Literacy.)

There were also of course 4.4BSD manuals published and printed jointly
by The USENIX Association and O'Reilly & Associates in 1994.

> However, there were books of System V man pages published, since I bought
> some of them.

Yes, Prentice Hall's "UNIX System V/386" manuals from 1988 grace my
shelves, along with an incomplete set of the UNIX Press "SVR4" manuals
from 1992.

--

@ 2020-04-07 10:42       ` Derek Fawcus
From: Derek Fawcus @ 2020-04-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 07:57:55PM -0400, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really published as a book)

A bit later on but...

I'm prettry sure I managed to read the man pages published as a book while
at Uni, so between '86 and '90.  I found it in the University Library.

It was published by Western Electric, and had either a dark blue or black cover.

It also didn't appear to be a particularly recent book, but could just have
been well worn.  Possibly about System III, I don't think it was about System V.

However, there were books of System V man pages published, since I bought
some of them.

DF

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-06 14:54         ` ron
From: ron @ 2020-04-06 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Ronald Natalie wrote:
>
>> The Lions book wasn’t really published back in the day.  It was only
>> targetted at his students in Australia (though copies leaked out).
>
> Leaked out?  Apparently it's the most photocopied book in the world!  I
> had the originals but sadly lost them in a house move (along with all
> issues of AUUGN).

I have one of the Xeroxes.   It's a second generation copy.   I remember
when I got a hold of someone else's copy me and five of my coworkers split
up and went to different copiers around the company and each made six
copies of their section and then we collated it together.  We didn't dare
take it to the company copy center.

>> The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really
>> published as a book) and most of the prose on UNIX was more in the form
>> of articles than an entire book.
>
> I still reckon that the manpage format is perfect at what it does: telling
Agreed, but neither the manpages nor the BSTJ articles or the few
non-manpage UNIX documents were "books."

From: ron @ 2020-04-06 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2020-04-06 14:51             ` ron
From: ron @ 2020-04-06 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2020-04-06  1:46               ` Michael Usher via TUHS
From: Michael Usher via TUHS @ 2020-04-06  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

Now that I think about it -- I suspect I did actually read that book in the
late 80s from the Fisher Library collection at Sydney Uni.  The cover looks
familiar to me.

@ 2020-04-06  1:41             ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-04-06  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Usher; +Cc: TUHS main list

That’s it.

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-06  0:46           ` Michael Usher via TUHS
From: Michael Usher via TUHS @ 2020-04-06  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list

--

@ 2020-04-06  0:27         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-04-06  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2020-04-06  0:17       ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-04-06  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, Ronald Natalie wrote:

> The Lions book wasn’t really published back in the day.  It was only
> targetted at his students in Australia (though copies leaked out).

Leaked out?  Apparently it's the most photocopied book in the world!  I
had the originals but sadly lost them in a house move (along with all
issues of AUUGN).

> The manuals aren’t really a book (and again, they weren’t really
> published as a book) and most of the prose on UNIX was more in the form
> of articles than an entire book.

I still reckon that the manpage format is perfect at what it does: telling
you what you need to know right away without going through various menu
levels (and that's not a dig at "info" but just an observation in
general).

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-06  0:08       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2020-04-06  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Natalie; +Cc: tuhs

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-05 23:57     ` Ronald Natalie
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2020-04-05 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markus schnalke; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2020-04-04 22:41 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-04 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Another book from the same era--quite good--is A Unix Primer
by Ann Nichols Lomuto and Nico Lomuto, copyright 1983.

Before the title page appears an interesting endorsement:
"Prentice-Hall Software Series, Brian Kernighan, advisor

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-04 17:32 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-04-04 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markus schnalke; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020, 9:19 AM markus schnalke <meillo@marmaro.de> wrote:

> Hoi,
>
> found on Wikipedia:
>
>         As well as the Bourne shell, he wrote the adb debugger
>         and The UNIX System, the second book on the UNIX system,
>         intended for a general readership.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Bourne
>
> Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a
> general readership was.
>
> Bourne's book was published 1983.
>
> (``The UNIX Programming Environment'' was published 1984.)
>

> Was it Banahan and Rutter's ``UNIX -- the Book''? It says 1982.
>
> Could anyone share some background on that one? (The authors were
> from Bradford University.)
>
> I only have the German translation by Axel T. Schreiner, dated
> 1984. Haven't read the English original, but Schreiner's version
> definitely is worth to read (if you speak German). He added lots
> of footnotes, and it becomes apparent that he knows the system
> better than the authors. ;-)
>

> I'd like to get an understanding of the books in relation to each
> other. How does the Banahan/Rutter book fit into the picture? Why
> didn't Bell Labs write a user's book earlier? Were Bourne's and
> Kernighan/Pike's books reactions to it?

All good questions. I just bought both of these 9n ebay (there are several
copies available for <$10 so I didn't feel bad about sniping a rarity from
others in this group).

But I don't know the back stories.

Warner

@ 2020-04-04 16:45   ` markus schnalke
From: markus schnalke @ 2020-04-04 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hoi.

[2020-04-04 16:12] Michael Kjörling <michael@kjorling.se>
> On 4 Apr 2020 17:05 +0200, from meillo@marmaro.de (markus schnalke):
> > found on Wikipedia:
> >
> > 	As well as the Bourne shell, he wrote the adb debugger
> > 	and The UNIX System, the second book on the UNIX system,
> > 	intended for a general readership.
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Bourne
> >
> > Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a
> > general readership was.
>
> I would be careful with that claim.
>
> First, it appears to lack a citation. (Someone here might be able to help
> with that.)

That was my thought already. I hope to get a citation out of this
mail thread, or information to remove this claim.

But that was only what started my interest in the situation around
the very first Unix books. Especially the Banahan/Rutter book
caught my interest, as I cannot really fit it into the picture of
my current understanding. (I've never read (or forgot) about the
University of Bredford in the early Unix context.)

> Second, once you unpack it, the claim itself can be parsed in two ways,
> yielding quite different meanings.

You're right. I directly assumed that ``the second book that was
intended for genereal readership (besides several earlier books
for special readership)'' was meant. But now that you bring this
question up, I'm no longer sure about earlier books that describe
the Unix system in general, not only single aspects of it.
Besides, we quickly run into the question what a book is. Is
Lions' Book a book? Are the manuals books?

Well, as I wrote above, although this claim in the Wikipedia
started it all up for me, I'm not so much interested in validating
or falsifying it, but rather like to know more about the situation
in general, to further improve my understanding of the time back
then. :-)

meillo

From: Michael Kjörling @ 2020-04-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 4 Apr 2020 17:05 +0200, from meillo@marmaro.de (markus schnalke):
> found on Wikipedia:
>
> 	As well as the Bourne shell, he wrote the adb debugger
> 	and The UNIX System, the second book on the UNIX system,
> 	intended for a general readership.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Bourne
>
> Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a
> general readership was.

I would be careful with that claim.

First, it appears to lack a citation. (Someone here might be able to help
with that.)

Second, once you unpack it, the claim itself can be parsed in two ways,
yielding quite different meanings.

One way of parsing the claim is that Bourne wrote the book _The UNIX
System_ which was the second book on the UNIX system. It was also a book
which was intended for a general readership, presumably thereby setting it
apart from the first book which was not intended for a general readership.

The other way of parsing the claim is that he wrote the book _The UNIX
System_ which was second in the set of intended-for-a-general-readership
books on the UNIX system (as opposed to the set of books on the UNIX
system which were intended for other than a general readership, or for
_any_ readership, of which there may have been any number prior to this
book), thereby setting it apart only from the first book on the UNIX
system intended for a general readership.

I'm not a good enough UNIX historian to know which meaning is correct.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-04 15:48 ` Nemo Nusquam
From: Nemo Nusquam @ 2020-04-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 04/04/20 11:05, markus schnalke wrote (in part):
> Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a general
> readership was.
Not to be overly pedantic but what would be a "general readership"?

For example, I understand that the patent dep't was an early Unix
customer.  Would they been a general readership (and how were they taught)?

(I would think that many of today's grunt-and-poke UI generation would
have difficulty with a cli.)

N.

* [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-04 15:05 markus schnalke
                   ` (2 more replies)