On 2020-May-17 16:08:26 -0400, Clem Cole wrote: >On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 12:38 PM Paul Winalski >wrote: > >> Well, the function in question is called getchar(). And although >> these days "byte" is synonymous with "8 bits", historically it meant >> "the number of bits needed to store a single character". 8-bit bytes, 32/64-bit "words" and 2's complement arithmetic have been "standard" for so long that I suspect there are a significant number of computing professionals who have never considered that there is any alternative. >Yep, I think that is the real crux of the issue. If you grew up with >systems that used a 5, 6, or even a 7-bit byte; you have an appreciation of >the difference. I've used a 36-bit system that supported 6 or 9-bit bytes. IBM Stretch even supported programmable character sizes. >DEC was still sort of transitioning from word-oriented hardware (a lesson, >Paul, you and I lived through being forgotten a few years later with >Alpha); The Alpha was byte addressed, it just didn't support byte operations on memory (at least originally). That's different to word-oriented machines that only supported word addresses. Supporting byte-wide writes at arbitrary addresses adds a chunk of complexity to the CPU/cache interface and most RISC architectures only supported word load/store operations. -- Peter Jeremy