The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
To: coff@tuhs.org, tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Monitoring by loudspeaker (was: BTL pranks)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 16:58:22 +0200	[thread overview]

When the computer is in a tight endless loop, the accumulator takes the
same series of values every time it's in the loop.  Thus, instead of
white noise you get a sound whose frequency is the clock frequency of
the machine divided by the number of cycles spent by one loop iteration.

That's how you know that the machine is stuck in an endless loop: if it
was doing something useful, the values would change every iteration and
you would get white noise again.

Yours,
Robert C

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an 8-bit clean world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments