The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa)
To: tuhs@tuhs.org
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [TUHS] BTL summer employees
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:02:16 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    > I haven't investigated it thoroughly, but I do see a file .DOVR.;.SPOOL
    > 8 written in C by Eliot Moss.
    > When sending to the DOVER, the spooler waits until Spruce is
    > free before sending another file.

Ah, so there was a spooler on the ITS machine as well; I didn't know/remember
that.

I checked on CSR, and it did use TFTP to send it to the Alto spooler:

  HOST MIT-SPOOLER,       LCS 2/200,SERVER,TFTPSP,ALTO,[SPOOLER]

I vaguely recall the Dover being named 'Spruce', but that name wasn't in the
host table... I have this vague memory that 'MIT-Spooler' was the Alto which
prove the Dover, but now that I think about it, it might have been another one
(which ran only TFTP->EFTP spooler software). IIRC the Dover as a pain to run,
it required a very high bit rate, and the software to massage it was very
tense; so it may have made sense to do the TFTP->EFTP (I'm pretty sure the
vanilla Dover spoke EFTP, but maybe I'm wrong, and it used the PUP stream
protocol) in another machine.

It'd be interesting to look at the Dover spooler on ITS, and see if/how one
got to the CHAOS network from C - and if so, how it identified the protocol
translating box.

   Noel