The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Whence did "XXX" come about?
@ 2020-09-03 17:32 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2020-09-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

For yonks I've been seeing "XXX" as a flag to mean "needs more work" or
"look at this carefully, just in case" etc, and I use it myself.

Whence did it come about?  I think I saw it as early as PWB, but can't be
sure.

-- Dave, wondering how many nanny-filters he triggered with "XXX"

* Re: [TUHS] Whence did "XXX" come about?
@ 2020-09-03 18:11 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-09-03 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

The earliest my quick grep could find was 4.0BSD. I didn't find it in this
sense in pwb, but it was a quick grep...

xxx is used extensively in prior versions, but there it's meaning is
'placeholder' or 'don't care'. Mostly for /tmp/XXXX files, but also for
things like Jxxx handles all the jump commands or dates of the form 24 Feb
XXXX or stuff like that.

Warner

@ 2020-09-03 20:28 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-09-03 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 03:32:58AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> For yonks I've been seeing "XXX" as a flag to mean "needs more work" or
> "look at this carefully, just in case" etc, and I use it myself.

Me too, for the same reason: the code is tricky or subtle or needs fixing.
It does tend to make my students raise their eyebrows; perhaps they have
their nanny filters turned on :-)

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Whence did "XXX" come about?
@ 2020-09-03 20:35   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-09-03 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I'll also add that this seemed foreign when I had patches that had XXX in
them I submitted to the linux folks in the early 90s. It was second nature
in the BSD side of things. But I don't know if that's a Berkeley thing or a
Bell Labs thing Berkeley picked up...

Warner

@ 2020-09-03 20:54     ` Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2020-09-03 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

My guess is that this was invented independently several times. I think
I used it myself in the 70's (and not on UNIX), as soon as I had a text
editor, because "XXX" was easy to search for and was not going to
overlap with variable names, etc.

There's a discussion here:
https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-04-17-xxx-fixme

Dan H.

@ 2020-09-03 22:13       ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2020-09-03 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Halbert; +Cc: tuhs

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020, Dan Halbert wrote:

> My guess is that this was invented independently several times. I think I
> used it myself in the 70's (and not on UNIX), as soon as I had a text editor,
> because "XXX" was easy to search for and was not going to overlap with
> variable names, etc.

I use "EOW" when I'm iterating through something, and stop partway
through, for the same reason: I'm not likely to find that exact
combination anywhere else. (It's not random: it stands for "End of WIP")

I use "XXX" too - usually in the form "XXX FIXME".

-uso.

* Re: [TUHS] Whence did "XXX" come about?
@ 2020-09-04  3:02         ` Christopher Browne
From: Christopher Browne @ 2020-09-04  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Nickolas; +Cc: TUHS main list