The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa)
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Cc: jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: [TUHS] V6 networking (Was: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 12:34:44 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

    > From: Paul Ruizendaal

    > I'd love to have a look at that and compare and contrast the
    > approaches.

OK; the system is somewhat disorganized, and stuff is in directories here,
there and everywhere in it (much is in the home dirs of some of the people who
worked on some pieces), so it will take me a fair amount of work to curate it
all into an accessible form, but I have put _some_ of it up here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/unix/net/

If you want to slurp up the whole thing:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/unix/net/net.tar

I should explain that the kernel only contains inbound de-multiplexing, and
not much else; the TCP is in the user process, allong with the
application. (Great for V6 on a small machine...) There is most of what
documentation I could find in the 'doc' folder.

There were at least two different TCP's in use on that system - maybe three. I
have currently only included one (gotta do some more work to get the rest; for
Server Telnet, and User/Server FTP), along with a couple of appplications
which use it: SMTP, Finger, and User Telnet.

The kernel code is mostly there, but there are some minor dribs and drabs of
changes/additions elsewhere in the kernetl which I'll have to sort out in the
future. The main thing that's not there is the Pronet driver; not very useful!

There's also an ICMP paemon (and 'ping'), IIRC, but that's something else I'll
have to find.

Any questions, or stuff you'd really like to see, let me know.

    Noel