* [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-22 22:43 Warren Toomey
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-12-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?

Cheers, Warren

Original e-mail:
   I recently built a PiDP11 and have been enjoying going back in time
   to 2.11BSD..  I was at UC Davis in the the early 1980's and we had
   a few PDP-11/70's running 2.8/2.9 BSD. Back then we reached out to
   David Korn and he sent us the source for KSH -- this would have been
   in 1985ish if I remember, and we compiled it for 2.9 & 4.1BSD, Xenix,
   and some other variants that used K&R C.  It may have been what was
   later called ksh88.  I wish I still had the files from then..

   I was wondering if you might know if there's an older version like this
   or one that's been ported for 2.11BSD?
   Many thanks,
   Joe

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-22 23:01 ` Clem Cole
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Clem Cole @ 2020-12-22 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

If you were outside of AT&T, it was distributed via AT&T Summit's
'toolchest' thingy (and were as a single license to join it and but
separate fees for each tool - if you wanted sub-license there was a
secondary process which I forget the details -- I remember used it so we
could make ksh, mk and ditroff standard on the MASSCOMP and later Stellar
boxes).

My memory is that the toolchest was created before SVR4, I want to say SVR2
(maybe as late as SVR3) timeframe.  Its origin is it was a way to get some
of the tools that came from different teams around the labs out without
having to including them in a full release. Earlier, Brian's ditroff and
Dennis's compiler were licensed (together) but using the original
licensing/distribution scheme.   As tools like ksh and mk came on the
scene, Otis Wilson asked a number of us customers what to do.      The
toolchest was born from that discussion.  It was cool in the after you
ordered, you go a uucp address to 'pull' the bits for your site from the
toolchest.  No tapes were written - which is why I think find things now
may be hard.

That said, I've not found a repository of the toolchest stuff as I'm not so
sure ATT really released all of it in the sense of the basic system
itself.  For instance, the support for the JERQ (including the games) were
all in the toolchest and last spring a few of us were looking for the GBACA
sources.  I'm not sure if they were found.

Basically, you need to find someone that had had a toolchest license for
that specific tool and still has the bits somewhere.

Clem

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?
>
> Cheers, Warren
>
> Original e-mail:
>    I recently built a PiDP11 and have been enjoying going back in time
>    to 2.11BSD..  I was at UC Davis in the the early 1980's and we had
>    a few PDP-11/70's running 2.8/2.9 BSD. Back then we reached out to
>    David Korn and he sent us the source for KSH -- this would have been
>    in 1985ish if I remember, and we compiled it for 2.9 & 4.1BSD, Xenix,
>    and some other variants that used K&R C.  It may have been what was
>    later called ksh88.  I wish I still had the files from then..
>
>    I was wondering if you might know if there's an older version like this
>    or one that's been ported for 2.11BSD?
>    Many thanks,
>    Joe

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  1:29   ` John P. Linderman
From: John P. Linderman @ 2020-12-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Does it have to be ksh88? https://github.com/att/ast has ksh93 source. --
jpl

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 6:03 PM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> If you were outside of AT&T, it was distributed via AT&T Summit's
> 'toolchest' thingy (and were as a single license to join it and but
> separate fees for each tool - if you wanted sub-license there was a
> secondary process which I forget the details -- I remember used it so we
> could make ksh, mk and ditroff standard on the MASSCOMP and later Stellar
> boxes).
>
> My memory is that the toolchest was created before SVR4, I want to say
> SVR2 (maybe as late as SVR3) timeframe.  Its origin is it was a way to get
> some of the tools that came from different teams around the labs out
> without having to including them in a full release. Earlier, Brian's
> ditroff and Dennis's compiler were licensed (together) but using the
> original licensing/distribution scheme.   As tools like ksh and mk came on
> the scene, Otis Wilson asked a number of us customers what to do.      The
> toolchest was born from that discussion.  It was cool in the after you
> ordered, you go a uucp address to 'pull' the bits for your site from the
> toolchest.  No tapes were written - which is why I think find things now
> may be hard.
>
> That said, I've not found a repository of the toolchest stuff as I'm not
> so sure ATT really released all of it in the sense of the basic system
> itself.  For instance, the support for the JERQ (including the games) were
> all in the toolchest and last spring a few of us were looking for the GBACA
> sources.  I'm not sure if they were found.
>
> Basically, you need to find someone that had had a toolchest license for
> that specific tool and still has the bits somewhere.
>
> Clem
>
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 5:44 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
>> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?
>>
>> Cheers, Warren
>>
>> Original e-mail:
>>    I recently built a PiDP11 and have been enjoying going back in time
>>    to 2.11BSD..  I was at UC Davis in the the early 1980's and we had
>>    a few PDP-11/70's running 2.8/2.9 BSD. Back then we reached out to
>>    David Korn and he sent us the source for KSH -- this would have been
>>    in 1985ish if I remember, and we compiled it for 2.9 & 4.1BSD, Xenix,
>>    and some other variants that used K&R C.  It may have been what was
>>    later called ksh88.  I wish I still had the files from then..
>>
>>    I was wondering if you might know if there's an older version like this
>>    or one that's been ported for 2.11BSD?
>>    Many thanks,
>>    Joe

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  3:30 ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2020-12-23  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

there's a plain ksh88 in here:
bitsavers/bits/HP/HP_9000/HPUX_9/9.10_S300_Source_Product.cpio.gz

The open sourced Solaris 8 tarball contains ksh88i

I'm sure there's more ;)

But what a shame that the 1985ish ksh got lost.

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 2:44 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?
>
> Cheers, Warren
>
> Original e-mail:
>    I recently built a PiDP11 and have been enjoying going back in time
>    to 2.11BSD..  I was at UC Davis in the the early 1980's and we had
>    a few PDP-11/70's running 2.8/2.9 BSD. Back then we reached out to
>    David Korn and he sent us the source for KSH -- this would have been
>    in 1985ish if I remember, and we compiled it for 2.9 & 4.1BSD, Xenix,
>    and some other variants that used K&R C.  It may have been what was
>    later called ksh88.  I wish I still had the files from then..
>
>    I was wondering if you might know if there's an older version like this
>    or one that's been ported for 2.11BSD?
>    Many thanks,
>    Joe

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  5:46 ` Scot Jenkins via TUHS
From: Scot Jenkins via TUHS @ 2020-12-23  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wkt, tuhs

Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2
has source for several releases.

click "show all" on the right under "download options",
the file sysvr4.tar.bz2 has source for ksh88:

from cmd/ksh/sh/msg.c:
msg.c:    MSG e_version = "\n@(#)Version M-11/16/88d\0\n";

I think this was for x86 PCs.  I haven't tried to build it.
The date on the files is Jan 25 1993.

scot

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-12-23  6:56 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2020-12-23  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wkt, tuhs

I have ksh88f that I got from the Toolchest. My files are dated
April 6, 1991.

If anyone wants it, please let me know.

Arnold

Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?
>
> Cheers, Warren
>
> Original e-mail:
>    I recently built a PiDP11 and have been enjoying going back in time
>    to 2.11BSD..  I was at UC Davis in the the early 1980's and we had
>    a few PDP-11/70's running 2.8/2.9 BSD. Back then we reached out to
>    David Korn and he sent us the source for KSH -- this would have been
>    in 1985ish if I remember, and we compiled it for 2.9 & 4.1BSD, Xenix,
>    and some other variants that used K&R C.  It may have been what was
>    later called ksh88.  I wish I still had the files from then..
>
>    I was wondering if you might know if there's an older version like this
>    or one that's been ported for 2.11BSD?
>    Many thanks,
>    Joe

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  7:19   ` Efton Collins
From: Efton Collins @ 2020-12-23  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Jenkins; +Cc: tuhs

here is a link to a ksh version that seems to predate ksh88, msg.c
says "Version 06/03/86a":
https://github.com/weiss/original-bsd/tree/master/local/toolchest/ksh

I found the link at the bottom of this interesting page:
https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/shells/ksh_versions.html

and this link contains a surprising amount of information on many
shell versions released over the years -

On 12/22/20, Scot Jenkins via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I received an e-mail looking for the ksh-88 source code. A quick
>> search for it on-line doesn't reveal it. Does anybody have a copy?
>

> https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2
> has source for several releases.
>
> click "show all" on the right under "download options",
> the file sysvr4.tar.bz2 has source for ksh88:
>
> from cmd/ksh/sh/msg.c:
> msg.c:    MSG e_version = "\n@(#)Version M-11/16/88d\0\n";
>
> I think this was for x86 PCs.  I haven't tried to build it.
> The date on the files is Jan 25 1993.
>
> scot

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  9:03   ` Thomas Paulsen
From: Thomas Paulsen @ 2020-12-23  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rico Pajarola; +Cc: tuhs

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23  9:14     ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2020-12-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Paulsen; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 1:03 AM Thomas Paulsen <thomas.paulsen@firemail.de>
wrote:

> you mean:­
> http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/HP/HP_9000/HPUX_9/9.10_S300_Source_Product.cpio.gz

yes

copy paste is hard ;)

> there's a plain ksh88 in here:
> bitsavers/bits/HP/HP_9000/HPUX_9/9.10_S300_Source_Product.cpio.gz
>
> The open sourced Solaris 8 tarball contains ksh88i
>
> I'm sure there's more ;)
>
> But what a shame that the 1985ish ksh got lost.
>

> *Gesendet mit Firemail.de - Freemail*

* Re: [TUHS] ksh88 source code?
@ 2020-12-23 22:57     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-12-23 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John P. Linderman; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 08:29:49PM -0500, John P. Linderman wrote:
>    Does it have to be ksh88? [1]https://github.com/att/ast has ksh93
>    source. -- jpl

I think the original poster couldn't get ksh93 to compile on 2.11BSD.
Thanks though, Warren