The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
To: Jon Steinhart <jon@fourwinds.com>
Cc: TUHS main list <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] [TUHS} Typing Tutor [and tuhs archive]
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 10:14:29 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 10:05:29AM -0800, Jon Steinhart wrote:
> Will Senn writes:
> >
> > OK. I was hoping somebody somewhere had used a unix typing tutor, but if
> > the TOPS-10 tutor was the only thing out there, was it any good? Surely,
> > somebody somewhen knows of others?
>
> Never used a UNIX typing tutor since I took a typing class before UNIX was
> a thing, but when my kid was young I had her use tuxtype (and tuxmath, ...)
> which is pretty cool.

Wandering a little far afield but ...

I'm a self taught touch typist, if you can call it that.  I've just typed
enough that it works.  But it's a thing that works when I don't think about
it, as soon as I go "oh, I'm typing without looking" it stops working.  So
I try not to think about it.

Funny thing is that I bought an excavator maybe 5 years ago or so.  Using
the joysticks to control that thing is just like my touch typing.  I've
done it enough that if I'm not thinking about it, everything just works.
And that's after about 300 hours of experience on it, which isn't a lot.
It's some, not a lot.

I'm good enough that I set this skidsteer upright with it, which was
something, that excavator is way too small for that 8000 pound skid
steer but I got her up.  And didn't break anything, or anyone, in the
process.

http://mcvoy.com/lm/skidsteer-rescue.jpg