On Wednesday, 17 March 2021 at 21:33:37 +0100, Josh Good wrote: > Hello UNIX veterans. > > So I stumbled online upon a copy of the book "SCO Xenix System V Operating > System User's Guide", from 1988, advertised as having 395 pages, and the > asked for price was 2.50 EUROs. I bought it, expecting --well, I don't know > exactly what I was expecting, something quaint and interesting, I suppose. > > I've received the book, and it is not a treasure trobe, to say the least. I > am in fact surprised at how sparse was UNIX System V of this age, almost > spartan. I'm surprised that nobody else mentioned this, but XENIX System V and UNIX System V were two very different beasts. I've used both, and XENIX is considerably worse. > And that's it. The communications part only deals the Micnet (a > serial-port based local networking scheme), and UUCP. No mention at > all of the words "Internet" or "TCP/IP", no even in the Index. It was available, and I had it installed. In fact, somewhere I still have the media, though it's unlikely that they're still readable. But like Interactive UNIX System V/386 (if I have the names, it was commercially oriented and sold each individual component separately, separate media, separate documentation, and these bloody license keys. > I'm probably spoiled from Linux having repositories full of packaged > free software, where the user just has to worry about "which is the > best of": email program, text editor, browser, image manipulation > program, video player, etc. I understand this now pretty well, how > spoiled are we these days. Yes, I had BSD/386 at the same time I actually had to use XENIX, and the difference was like night and day. I moved as much of my development environment to BSD as possible, not helped by XENIX's lack of NFS. I'm not sure it even had X. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA