The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: arnold@skeeve.com
To: tuhs@tuhs.org, norman@oclsc.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Whither Usenix [was How To Kill A Technical Conference]
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:31:20 -0600	[thread overview]

norman@oclsc.org (Norman Wilson) wrote:

> Arnold:
>
>   But for several years now I have been increasingly dissatisfied with the
>   research nature of most of the articles. Very few of them are actually
>   useful (or even interesting) to me in a day-to-day sense.
>
> ===
>
> I guess it depends on your interests, and also on what you look at.

Yes, exactly. For me, Usenix provides little added value. I had
been debating leaving Usenix for several years already; the move
to soft copy ;login: clinched it for me. I'm not happy about it,
but I had to recognize my personal reality.

> Either way I think what USENIX does is worth while.

I agree. For example, I would not like to see Usenix disappear.
But I no longer am getting value for my membership dollars.

So, not a value judgement on Usenix as a whole, merely a statement
of my personal situation.

Arnold