The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] How to use V5 UNIX?
@ 2021-05-05 18:08 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-05-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Saif Resun

    > I want to use the 5th edition UNIX operating system.
    > I want to use it using the SimH emulator but there's no guide about
    > how to install it or use it.

As they say,'Google is your friend':

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_Unix_v5_in_SIMH

Also, V6 Unix is very similar to V5 (the main difference, IIRC, is that V6
supports so-called 'Split I/D space' on the PDP-11) so anything for V6 will
mostly apply to V5:

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_UNIX_v6_in_SIMH
  https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_UNIX_v6_(PDP-11)_on_SIMH
  https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_UNIX_Sixth_Edition_on_Ersatz-11

Have fun!

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] How to use V5 UNIX?
@ 2021-05-05 19:02 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-05-05 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

The only thing I would add is to find yourself a copy of Lion's book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions%27_Commentary_on_UNIX_6th_Edition,_with_Source_Code

You can get a nicely bound version inexpensively from Amazon,
although there are PDFs in the wild too.    Like, others I would suggest
starting with Sixth Edition if you want to follow John.  The biggest
advantage of Seventh besides having more complete toolchains is that the
compiler matches K&R Version 1, so you are likely to have fewer issues, you
will already be giving up ANSI (as described in K&R2).  I started with
Fifth years ago in the early/mid-1970s but quickly got Sixth's so I have
little memory of it.  I have played with it on simh since frankly, the
differences between 5 and 6 are not going to be huge from a learning
standpoint.
ᐧ

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 2:09 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > From: Saif Resun
>
>     > I want to use the 5th edition UNIX operating system.
>     > ...
>     > I want to use it using the SimH emulator but there's no guide about
>     > how to install it or use it.
>
> As they say,'Google is your friend':
>
>   https://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_Unix_v5_in_SIMH
>
> Also, V6 Unix is very similar to V5 (the main difference, IIRC, is that V6
> supports so-called 'Split I/D space' on the PDP-11) so anything for V6 will
> mostly apply to V5:
>
>   https://gunkies.org/wiki/Running_UNIX_v6_in_SIMH
>   https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_UNIX_v6_(PDP-11)_on_SIMH
>   https://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_UNIX_Sixth_Edition_on_Ersatz-11
>
> Have fun!
>
>         Noel

* [TUHS] Lion's book (was: How to use V5 UNIX?)
@ 2021-05-06  1:57   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2021-05-06  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Wednesday,  5 May 2021 at 15:02:53 -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> The only thing I would add is to find yourself a copy of Lion's book:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions%27_Commentary_on_UNIX_6th_Edition,_with_Source_Code
>
> You can get a nicely bound version inexpensively from Amazon,
> although there are PDFs in the wild too.

It's available at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/ This
version dates back to 1994 and is based on wkt's original publication
in 1991.  It contains scan errors, but should be intelligible.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [TUHS] How to use V5 UNIX?
@ 2021-05-05 12:28 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2021-05-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 05/05/21, Saif Resun wrote:
> Can someone please help me to use this system?

Not much to do really:
create an ini like this:

	set cpu 11/45
	att rk0 disk0.rk
	d sr 1
	b rk0

and then boot like this:

	% pdp11 boot.ini

	PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Current        git commit id: 938aa58f
	Disabling XQ
	@unix
	mem = 64537

	;login: root
	#

to shutdown, type `sync` a couple of times and stop the simulation with ^E.
Otherwise read the manual and maybe explore v6 or v7 as they're a little
more complete.

aap

* [TUHS] How to use V5 UNIX?
@ 2021-05-05 11:08 Saif Resun