On Tuesday, 15 June 2021 at 18:54:47 -0400, John Cowan wrote: > On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 6:25 PM Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: >> As not being hard-to-the-core i may have missed it, but also in >> 1951, in March, the wonderful Grace Hopper "conceives the first >> compiler, called A-O and later released as Math-Matic. Hopper is >> also credited with coining the term 'bug' following an incident >> involving a moth and a Mark II. > > Yes, but wrongly. The label next to the moth is "First actual case of bug > being found", and the word "actual" shows that the slang term already > existed then. Correct. The Oxford English Dictionary has two overlapping definitions (along with dozens of others). In each case I've shown the earliest attestation: 5. Originally U.S. a. A defect or fault in a machine (esp. an electrical or electronic one), or in a process, etc. 1875 Operator 15 Aug. 5/1 The biggest ‘bug’ yet has been discovered in the U.S. Hotel Electric Annunciator. b. Computing. An error or other cause of malfunction in a computer program, piece of software, etc. 1952 Rev. Electronic Digital Computers (Amer. Inst. Electr. Engineers) 18/2 The week we spent in getting the last bug out of our instruction program was an investment we hated to have to make. It's interesting that they differentiate between the two. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php