The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Threads vs... not
@ 2021-08-04 21:48 Lawrence Stewart
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lawrence Stewart @ 2021-08-04 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

What do folks think about event-driven programming as a substitute for threads in UI and process control settings?

I wrote the service processor code for the Sicortex Machines using libevent.a and I thought it was very lightweight and fairly easy to think about. (This was a thing running on ucLinux on a tiny 16 MB coldfire that managed the consoles and power supplies and temp sensors and JTAG access and booting and so forth.)

Tk (IIRC) has a straightforward event driven model for UI interactions.

Meanwhile, the dropbox plugin for my Mac has 120 threads running.  WTF?

This was triggered by the fork/spawn discussion.

-Larry
(started with Unix at V6 on an 11/34)