The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@sdaoden.eu>
To: Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] RIP Jörg Schilling
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 17:46:47 +0200	[thread overview]

Robert Clausecker wrote in
 <YWQjr9QoVGKmE5+Y@fuz.su>:
 |I have received message from his family that Jörg Schilling has
 |passed away from complications related to kidney cancer this sunday
 |around noon (CEST).

This is very sad and saddening news.
Sixteen days ago he mailed me last, pretty soon after a many hour
long surgery, too soon in my eyes, and stated to be back among the
living, that it was much more complicated than thought.
He went private at the turn of the year.

 |He will be remembered for his open source projects including
 |Jörg worked for the Bethold typesetting company, one of the first
 |European customers of SUN microsystems.  It is there that his love
 |for UNIX and SUN OS in particular was kindled. [1]
 |
 |His interest in SUN OS culminated in Schillix, one of the first
 |open source Solaris distributions.

Not to forget that his dissertation also (among a filesystem
design) included a translation of the entire SunOS system manual
i think, and it is plain it was, in fact, not a translation, but
proof of translucency of the underlaying concepts.

 |We will of course also remember him for his flames.

Berlin Love is sometimes a bit rough.  If you want it smooth you
could buy a robot from Boston Dynamics instead.  Will ya.

Rest in peace dear Jörg.

--steffen