* [TUHS] Recreation of the PDP-7 UNIX TMG compiler compiler
@ 2021-10-13 20:53 Phil Budne
From: Phil Budne @ 2021-10-13 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I was a member of the team that typed in scans of PDP-7 UNIX (the
first batch of scans done didn't include the shell, so I cobbled one
together in March of 2016).

Scans of a second batch of listings turned up and were entered two
years ago (October 2019), including the original shell, and appeared
to be part of Doug McIlroy's implementation of TMG (TransMoGrifier),
the compiler compiler first used to implement B.

In January 2020 we got confirmation that the files t1.s thru t8.s
were, in fact, for TMG, but that we were missing the compiler for the
TMGL language, written in TMGL and the generated code.

In what is perhaps best described as a crazed act, over the past two
months I've worked to recreate a working TMG environment on PDP-7
UNIX, including a B compiler in TMGL, currently available at:

https://github.com/philbudne/pdp7-unix/tree/tmg

A good starting place is
https://github.com/philbudne/pdp7-unix/blob/tmg/misc/tmg-notes.txt
which started as my collected notes, questions and findings, and I've
expanded it with prose, observations and thoughts that could, at least
conceivably, be of interest to those not as oriented towards
self-punishment as I am.

(and on that topic, if you're looking for someone to expand, contract,
or otherwise deal with some seemingly intractable legacy code, let me
know: http://www.regressive.org/phil/resume.html)

* Re: [TUHS] Recreation of the PDP-7 UNIX TMG compiler compiler
@ 2021-10-14 15:38 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2021-10-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne; +Cc: tuhs

Phil Budne wrote:
> In what is perhaps best described as a crazed act, over the past two
> months I've worked to recreate a working TMG environment on PDP-7
> UNIX, including a B compiler in TMGL, currently available at:

Very impressive!

* Re: [TUHS] Recreation of the PDP-7 UNIX TMG compiler compiler
@ 2021-10-14 16:53   ` Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-10-14 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne, TUHS main list, Lars Brinkhoff

Impressive indeed. And I imagine the feat will impress its brilliant
grandparent, Bob McClure (cc'd), too.

Even though I wrote that TMG way back when, I'd never have dared to
try resuscitating it. Thank you, Phil.

Doug

@ 2021-10-14 17:06     ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-10-14 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy; +Cc: TUHS main list

Original goes back to 1965, the year I was born. Crazy what they were capable of back then. Way to go Phil.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2021-10-14 22:42 ` Robert Swierczek
From: Robert Swierczek @ 2021-10-14 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Budne; +Cc: TUHS main list

> In what is perhaps best described as a crazed act, over the past two
> months I've worked to recreate a working TMG environment on PDP-7
> UNIX, including a B compiler in TMGL

Awesome!  That is quite the feat!

Rob

* Re: [TUHS] Recreation of the PDP-7 UNIX TMG compiler compiler
@ 2021-10-15  1:21   ` Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 2021-10-15  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Swierczek; +Cc: TUHS main list