The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] echo in v6/v7/sysvr2
@ 2021-12-28 21:15 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-28 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Is it possible to use echo to send a vt-100 escape sequence in v6/v7/sysvr2?

I can write a c program to clear the screen and go home in sysvr2:

#define ASCII_ESC 27
main()
{
     printf( "%c[2J", ASCII_ESC );
     printf( "%c[H", ASCII_ESC );
}

and it works fine. I can type the escape sequences in as well, but I'd
just as soon write a shell script with an echo '[[2J;[[H' or something
similar without having to compile a clear command. Is it possible and
what do I need to know :)?.

Thanks,

Will

* Re: [TUHS] echo in v6/v7/sysvr2
@ 2021-12-28 21:48 ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2021-12-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Duh! RTFM - man echo (pdf, cuz I haven't quite figured out how got
system pages yet):

echo '\033[2J\033[H'

works fine. The advantage of the c program is it doesn't put a newline
after the escape sequences...

On 12/28/21 3:15 PM, Will Senn wrote:
> Is it possible to use echo to send a vt-100 escape sequence in
> v6/v7/sysvr2?
>
> I can write a c program to clear the screen and go home in sysvr2:
>
> #define ASCII_ESC 27
> main()
> {
>     printf( "%c[2J", ASCII_ESC );
>     printf( "%c[H", ASCII_ESC );
> }
>
> and it works fine. I can type the escape sequences in as well, but I'd
> just as soon write a shell script with an echo '[[2J;[[H' or something
> similar without having to compile a clear command. Is it possible and
> what do I need to know :)?.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

* Re: [TUHS] echo in v6/v7/sysvr2
@ 2021-12-28 21:49 ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2021-12-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

Will Senn wrote in
 <84e6263e-f990-cf9d-b988-55d15217771f@gmail.com>:
 |Is it possible to use echo to send a vt-100 escape sequence in v6/v7/sys\
 |vr2?
 |
 |I can write a c program to clear the screen and go home in sysvr2:
 |
 |#define ASCII_ESC 27
 |main()
 |{
 |     printf( "%c[2J", ASCII_ESC );
 |     printf( "%c[H", ASCII_ESC );
 |}
 |
 |and it works fine. I can type the escape sequences in as well, but I'd
 |just as soon write a shell script with an echo '[[2J;[[H' or something
 |similar without having to compile a clear command. Is it possible and
 |what do I need to know :)?.

cat is considered harmful.
Is it???

--steffen