v6 mv is indeed limited to renaming directories.  However, mv on v7 is able to move directories. Considering the similarity between the code bases, I think it would be fairly straightforward to support directory move on v6 in the same manner as was done in v7.  (On a related tangent, I found it fairly straightforward to implement modern rename(2) semantics on top of both code bases in my retro-fuse filesystem [e.g. v6fs.c:559 ].  Of course I had the benefit of a single-threaded execution environment.) Given the way mkdir and directory renaming worked in v6/v7, I'm not sure the lack of atomicity in directory move would have made things any worse for operators. It's interesting though that dcheck does not look for malformed directory links. --Jay On 12/29/2021 11:33 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: Clem Cole > > > Try it on V6 or V7 and you will get 'directory exists' as an error. > > The V6 'mv' is prepared to move a directory _within_ a directory (i.e. > 'rename' functionality). I'm not sure why it's not prepared to move within > a partition; probably whoever wrote it wasn't prepared to deal with all the > extra work for that (unlink from the old '..', then link to the '..' in the > new directory, etc, etc). > > (The MIT PWB1 had a 'mvdir' written by Jeff Schiller, so PWB1 didn't have > 'move directory' functionality before that. MIT must have been using the PWB1 > system for 6.031, which I didn't recall; the comments in 'mvdir' refer to it > being used there.) > > The V6 'mv' is fairly complicated (as I found out when I tried to modify it > to use 'smdate()', so that moving a file didn't change its 'last write' > date). Oddly enough, it is prepared to do cross-partition 'moves' (it forks a > 'cp' to do the move). Although on V6, 'cp' only does one file; 'cp *.c > {dest}' was not supported, there was 'cpall' for that. (Why no 'mvall', I > wonder? It would have been trivial to clone 'cpall'.) > > Run fact; the V6 'mv' is the place that has the famous (?) "values of B will > give rise to dom!" error message (in the directory-moing section). > > > if the BSD mv command for 4.1 supported it. If it did then it was not > > atomic -- it would have had to create the new directory, move the > > contents independently and then remove the old one. > > Speaking of atomic operation, in V6 'mkdir' (not being a system call) was > not atomic, so if interrupted at 'just the right time', it could leave > the FS in an inconsistent state. That's the best reason I've come across > to make 'mkdir' a system call - it can be made atomic that way. > > Noel