The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Ralph Corderoy <ralph@inputplus.co.uk>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] Ritchie/Thompson Unix Time-Sharing System in Classic Papers
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 16:25:27 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

Nelson wrote:
> There is a new book from MIT Press, edited by Harry Lewis, with a
> collection of classic papers in computer science, among them
>
> 	 37: The Unix Time-Sharing System (1974)
> 	     Dennis Ritchie, Kenneth Thompson
> 	 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7551/mitpress/12274.003.0039
>
> The book Web site is at
>
> 	https://direct.mit.edu/books/book/5003/Ideas-That-Created-the-FutureClassic-Papers-of

Looks interesting.  Forty-six papers, each with a brief essay by Harry
Lewis setting the context.  ‘...with an emphasis on the period of
1936-1980 but also including important early work’.  Amazon shows 4.8
out of 5 stars after 26 ratings: 77% 5*, 23% 4*.  https://amzn.to/3rkvPaU

One review says ‘The book originated from a discussion course the
author taught at Harvard’, another points out Thompson's ‘Reflections’
is missing.  :-)  Amazon's ‘Look inside’ works to give a flavour.

The list of papers is:

- Prior Analytics (~350 BCE), by Aristotle
- The True Method (1677), by Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz
- Sketch of the Analytical Engine (1843), by L. F. Menabreca
- An Investigation of the Laws of Thought on Which Are Founded the Mathematical Theories of Logic
  and Probabilities (1854), by George Boole
- Mathematical Problems (1900), by David Hilbert
- On Computable Numbers, with an Application to the Entscheidungsproblem (1936), by Alan Mathison
  Turing
- A Proposed Automatic Calculating Machine (1937), by Howard Hathaway Aiken
- A Symbolic Analysis of Relay and Switching Circuits (1938), by Claude Shannon
- A Logical Calculus of the Ideas Immanent in Nervous Activity (1943), by Warren McCulloch, Walter
  Pitts
- First Draft of a Report on the EDVAC (1945), by John von Neumann
- As We May Think (1945), by Vannevar Bush
- A Mathematical Theory of Communication (1948), by Claude Shannon
- Error Detecting and Error Correcting Codes (1950), by R. W. Hamming
- Computing Machinery and Intelligence (1950), by Alan Mathison Turing
- The Best Way to Design an Automatic Calculating Machine (1951), by Maurice Wilkes
- The Education of a Computer (1952), by Grace Murray Hopper
- On the Shortest Spanning Subtree of a Graph and the Traveling Salesman Problem (1956), by Joseph
  B. Kruskal, Jr.
- The Perceptron: A Probabilistic Model for Information Storage and Organization (1958), by Frank
  Rosenblatt
- Some Moral and Technical Consequences of Automation (1960), by Norbert Wiener
- Man-Computer Symbiosis (1960), by J. C. R. Licklider
- Recursive Functions of Symbolic Expressions and Their Computation by Machine (1960), by John
  McCarthy
- Augmenting Human Intellect: A Conceptual Framework (1962), by Douglas C. Englebrt
- An Experimental Time-Sharing System (1962), by Fernando Corbató, Marjorie Merwin Daggett, Robert
  C. Daly
- Sketchpad (1963), by Ivan E. Sutherland
- Cramming More Components onto Integrated Circuits (1965), by Gordon Moore
- Solution of a Problem in Concurrent Program Control (1965), by Edsger Dijkstra
- ELIZA -- A Computer Program for the Study of Natural Language Communication between Man and
  Machine (1966), by Joseph Weizenbaum
- The Structure of the “THE”-Multiprogramming System (1968), by Edsger Dijkstra
- Go To Statement Considered Harmful (1968), by Edsger Dijkstra
- Gaussian Elimination is Not Optimal (1969), by Volker Strassen
- An Axiomatic Basis for Computer Programming (1969), by C. A. R. Hoare
- A Relational Model of Large Shared Data Banks (1970), by Edgar F. Codd
- Managing the Development of Large Software Systems (1970), by Winston W. Royce
- The Complexity of Theorem-Proving Procedures (1971), by Stephen A. Cook
- A Statistical Interpretation of Term Specificity and Its Application in Retrieval (1972), by Karen
  Spärck Jones
- Reducibility among Combinatorial Problems (1972), by Richard Karp
- The Unix Time-Sharing System (1974), by Dennis Ritchie, Kenneth Thompson
- A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication (1974), by Vnton Cerf, Robert Kahn
- Programming with Abstract Data Types (1974), by Barbara Liskov, Stephen Zilles
- The Mythical Man-Month (1975), by Frederick C. Brooks
- Ethernet: Distributed Packet Switching for Local Computer Networks (1976), by Robert Metcalfe,
  David R. Boggs
- New Directions in Cryptography (1976), by Whitfield Diffie, Martin Hellman
- Big Omicron and Big Omega and Big Theta (1976), by Donald E. Knuth
- Social Processes and Proofs of Theorems and Programs (1977), by Richard DeMillo, Richard Lipton,
  Alan Perlis
- A Method for Obtaining Digital Signatures and Public-Key Cryptosystems (1978), by Ronald Rivest,
  Adi Shamir, Len Adelman
- How to Share a Secret (1979), by Adi Shamir

--
Cheers, Ralph.