On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 15:34:53 -0600, Will Senn wrote: > All, > > I did my research on this, but it's still a bit fuzzy (why is it that > people's memories from 40 years ago are so malleable?). > > 1. What are y'all's recollections regarding BSD 4.1's releases, vis a > vis the VAX. In McKusick's piece, Twenty Years of Berkeley Unix, I get > one perspective, and from Sokolov's Quasijarus project, I get quite > another. Kirk was there the whole time, from far earlier until the end of the CSRG. Sokolov came later, and to my recollection he wasn't involved in core BSD at all. I don't have any personal recollections of the time, but it seems clear who is more plausible. > 5. Has anyone unearthed an original 4.1 tape, or is Haertel's > reconstruction of the 1981 tape 1 release as close as it gets? Clearly this is beyond what is on the 4 CD set, right? That tree contains a file TAPE with the comments (inter alia) Extracted from two 4.1BSD distribution tapes dated 7/10/81. First label on the tape: 4.1bsd VAX UNIX System 7/10/81 5 files on tape: 1 (boot stuff) 2 (root dump) 3 (/usr) 4 (/usr/src) 5(4.0/4.1) last three are tar; 1600 bpi But presumably you know that. Was this the Haertel reconstruction you mention? On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 13:47:53 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote: > On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 03:34:53PM -0600, Will Senn wrote: >> 2. Sokolov implies that the CSRG mission started going off the rails with >> the 4.3/4.3BSD-Tahoe and it all went pear shaped with the 4.3-Reno release, >> and that Quasijarus puts the mission back on track, is that so? > > I think the issue was that some of the core CSRG people went off to > form BSDi to try and sell BSD on PCs. BSDI came later, and the founders weren't CSRG people, though some CSRG people did join the company. I think the real issue was that CSRG no longer had a purpose: the research aspect was over and done with, and the funding dried up. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php