At 2022-06-06T11:40:42+1000, Warren Toomey via TUHS wrote: > Hi all, we have a new addition to the Unix Archive at: > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Manuals/Unix_4.0/ > > This is the documentation for Unix 4.0 which preceded System V. The > documents were provided by Arnold Robbins and scanned in by Matt > Gilmore. Thank you all very much for this. As an amateur *roff historian I think among the other treasures here is a January 1981 addendum to Ossanna's 1976 Nroff/Troff User's Manual. This would be _after_ Kernighan's rewrite of the code to become device-independent troff. Indeed, the only troff (cf. nroff) device documented as supported is "Wang Laboratories' C/A/T phototypesetter". Not the Linotron, not the Autologic, not the Imagen. This is the earliest attestation of device-independent troff I'm aware of, and moreover it's _documentary of the system_. Great stuff! (I've effused about this on the groff list already.) Regards, Branden