The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Tomasz Rola <rtomek@ceti.pl>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: "9 skills our grandkids won't have" - Is this a TUHS topic?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 02:41:18 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 11:14:20PM +1000, steve jenkin wrote:
> What are the 1970’s & 1980’s Computing / IT skills “our grandkids
> won’t have”?

[...]

Speaking any foreign language at all without help of a machine.

Perhaps also being unable to formulate one's own judgements based on
archive contained in one's own head, while offline, i.e. without
asking other people/bots what to think.

Being offline i.e. without constant buzz of b-s-hit coming in - for a
long time (define what "long" actually means - minutes, days?) and not
getting psychologically crippled as a result. Come to think about it,
for them it is like sensory deprivation is for us. The difference will
be, perhaps, that todays adult can undergo s.d. for a while and return
to normal, while I can imagine for future adult, such a cutoff (no
sensory deprivation, just internet deprivation) might result in
effects similar to post traumatic disorders (and similarly long
lasting).

Ability to turn a computer off/on. Ability to understand importance of
having the switch in devices.

Handwriting.

Ability to perform multiplication & division of long numbers on
paper, flawlessly. Already lost to youngsters, from what I hear.

Learn to use device by reading paper manual, and only this. Assuming
paper manual is any good for the purpose, not just a bunch of
slogans.

Understand minutiae of older technology, limiting their understanding
of our ways and times. So far, the gap seems to would be much bigger than
between us and, say, Homo ergaster. Perhaps the gap will be more like
between us and H. australopitecus. But paradoxically, understanding of
the world, I expect to be bigger nowadays than in a future. Even
today, how many people could explain why there is a light after
switching the light on? I recall reading about some movie, whose fans
were unable to understand why a protagonist took film (celuloid) to
some "red room". They suggested it was for making photos sharper. Now
imagine what would they say after watching Antonioni's "Blow up" where
photography making is a central part of a plot.

I am not sure - maybe I am taking it too seriously and I perceive most
of posters here as tongue in cheek. But I keep imagining that one day
some guy writes "ls -axl" and his head will be stuck on pike, because
some cretine would claim his cow's milk turned black.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_rola@bigfoot.com             **