(For those on the TUHS list wondering about context, here it is. I "ported" the document in the Subject line to groff and re-typeset it, discovering some spacing nits in groff and, apparently, a bug in AT&T troff as well--one equation[1] in the sources not appearing in published versions has risen from the grave when rendered with groff. https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2022-07/msg00002.html ) > On Sat, Jul 2, 2022 at 12:34 PM Douglas McIlroy < > douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > [Ingo Schwarze wrote:] > > > I understand UNIX v7 is under this BSD-style license by Caldera > > > Inc. https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf > > > > The eqn document by Kernighan and Cherry also appears in the v10 > > manual, copyright by AT&T and published as a trade book. Wouldn't > > the recent release of v10 also pertain to the manual? At 2022-07-02T12:51:16-0400, Clem Cole wrote: > If V10 was formally released, then yes - I would make that argument > and feel free to say it to the judge. > > That said, did Caldera (and/or Nokia) officially release it or are > they just 'not noticing' that it is available in the wild? > > I was under the impression that the only thing official is through V7. > But all the other versions have 'leaked' and are widely available, and > whoever owns that IP at this point, is not pursuing protection. I am > aware that Caldera ended up with rights of 'UNIX' - certainly through > SVR5 -- and they released V1-V7 and 32V under their license (pointed > too in the earlier message). However, I am ownsnot aware of who > formally owns V8-V10 (I would assume Caldera also but that IP might > have stayed with Lucent then Nokia as part of that BTL IP transfer]. > Also, did Nokia 'formally' release Plan9 or Inferno -- is there a > document like the Caldera one? I believe even early releases of Plan 9 and Infero are both now fully liberated, though the former[2] took much longer than the latter[3]. I'd offer my thanks to anyone who is keeping the Plan 9 and Inferno flames lit. Regards, Branden [1] the last one in section 8, "e sup {i pi sup {rho +1}}" [2] https://marc.info/?l=9fans&m=161650489113326 [3] https://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/licence.html