The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Documentation on MERT added to TUHS
@ 2022-08-03  0:07 Heinz Lycklama
From: Heinz Lycklama @ 2022-08-03  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: Warren Toomey

The MERT (Multi-Environment Real-Time) system was developed
at Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ by myself and
Doug Bayer in the mid 1970's on a DEC PDP 11/45 computer.
MERT was picked up by the UNIX Support Group (USG) in 1977 and
has been distributed and supported throughout the Bell System.
The MERT Manual consists of both the MERT Programmer's
Manual and the UNIX Programmer's Manual. You can find
all of this documentation at:
     1. https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Manuals/MERT_Release_0/
The hosting of this manual online was made possible by Clem Cole's
painstaking efforts to scan in and organize the hundreds of pages
in the hard copy MERT Manual. Clem had previously scanned in
my Technical Memoranda documenting my work at Bell Labs in
the 1970's on MERT, LSX, Mini-UNIX and the Mini-Computer
Satellite Processor System:
     2.
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/TechReports/Heinz_Tech_Memos/
The monthly UNIX Technology Advisor newsletter published
in 1989 and 1990 contains articles written by some of the leading
open systems industry pioneers. The first issue is available online here:
     3. https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/Unix_Advisor/
I want to thank Warren Toomey for providing and maintaining
the TUHS.org <https://www.tuhs.org/> platform for the hosting of this
historical information
on UNIX systems for the community.

Heinz Lycklama

* [TUHS] Re: Documentation on MERT added to TUHS
@ 2022-08-03  0:14 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2022-08-03  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Lycklama; +Cc: tuhs, Warren Toomey

Was MERT anything like Victor Yodaiken's RT linux?  He did a real
time kernel that ran all of Unix as the idle process in the real
time kernel.  It was pretty slick, unfortunately Wind River bought
it and killed it so it wasn't competition to their less well thought
out system.

Victor's paper is here http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/rtlmanifesto.pdf

--
---