At 2022-11-07T23:12:40+0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote: > The following papers stick out to me as papers that haven't surfaced > in any of the research I've done (not exhaustive, but what stuck out > to me): > > Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language > - This sounds fun, not hard UNIX info, but fun The infamous CSTR #100. :D It has been in circulation as a while, though the copy I have has been stripped of its CSTR identifier and the header margin is suspiciously short for an ms(7) paper. > A Typesetter-Independent TROFF > - A ditroff-specific paper? Can't say I've seen such a thing, > would be interested in this one. That's CSTR #97, also well-known, albeit not as well known as it should be by people who regard CSTR #54 (1992 revision) as Torah. #97 is surely Taldmudic. > I know someone (can't recall name/email) in the GROFF mailing list > seemed particularly excited about ditroff information that could be > gleaned from the UNIX/TS 4.0 docs, this may be their golden carrot. That was me. The golden carrot would be the [nt]roff source from that release. Someone pointed me in the direction of McKusick's CSRG CD-ROM archives for that, but I haven't made the time to chase it down. I'm trying to eat my vegetables first and get a groff release out. We're closing in on 400 bugs fixed since 1.22.4... > PIC - A Graphics Language for Typesetting > - The list mentions a March 1982 revision. This would post-date > the UNIX/TS 4.0 version, although there is the Research V10 > version of the paper. However, an initial flip through the V10 > Volume 2 manual reveals no specific last-modify date. That would > ultimately trace back to > https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V8/usr/doc/pic . I > can't find the roff sources for V9 or V10 of this paper though, > I've just got the physical book for V10. I'm envious, if you have both bound volumes of the V10 manuals. groff's pic.ms document (identifying Eric Raymond as author, although I believe it understates its debt to the above document, CSTR #116) muses about a "pre-ditroff" version of pic, but I have never encountered any evidence that any such thing existed. The \D drawing command escape sequences did not exist in Ossanna's troff; see the line 601 switch() in . > The PIC Graphics Language > - Another PIC paper? I'm curious to see any variant documentation of pic, particularly its early versions. > Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs > - Ditto, I'd be curious how much of what became trade-book WWB/DWB > documentation started as Bell memoranda and if a full manual could > be compiled from just memoranda. I share your interest in WWB-related documents. In case there's anyone who's not already aware of this, the Internet Archive has a very nice cache of documents formerly hosted at cs.bell-labs.com. https://web.archive.org/web/20080509085821/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr.html I find the refer(1) database of _all_ CSTR document numbers to be of particular interest. https://web.archive.org/web/20080509085821/http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr/bib Regards, Branden