The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>, simh@groups.io
Subject: [TUHS] Re: DG UNIX History
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 08:09:40 -0800	[thread overview]

I dunno.  I've heard DG did a pretty much from the ground up rewrite of
Unix to make it scale well on SMP machines.  I've never seen the source
or used DG-UX, so it's all heresay.  If anyone has more info than what
Clem said, I'm all ears.

The reason I'm interested is the original model of disabling interrupts
really isn't pleasant on an SMP but people tried to evolve it towards
something that scaled.  It seems like DG went at it starting over,
designing SMP in from the start.  Be interesting to understand what
they did.  Sequent as well.

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat