The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: /usr/mdec
@ 2022-11-21 18:43 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2022-11-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > MAINDEC was certainly on all of their standalone diagnostic media

Actually, it was the name for all their diagnostics (usually stand-alone),
dating back to the paper tape days - when that was the only form they were
distributed in. So it makes sense that it's a short form of 'MAINDEC'.

     Noel

* [TUHS] Re: /usr/mdec
@ 2022-11-27  2:22 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2022-11-27  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On DEC's TRU64 UNIX it was /mdec

Making a system image with mkisofs I'd follow with
disklabel -rw -f ${UTMP}/${NAME_ISO} /mdec/rzboot.cdfs /mdec/bootrz.cdfs

Cheers,
uncle rubl
--
The more I learn the better I understand I know nothing.

* [TUHS] /usr/mdec
@ 2022-11-21  3:11 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2022-11-21  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'm curious about the origin of the directory name /usr/mdec.
(I am reminded of it because I've noticed that it lives on in
at least one of the BSDs.)

I had a vague notion that it meant `DEC maintenance' but that
seems a bit clumsy to describe a place holding boot blocks.

A random web board suggests it meant `magnetic DECtape.'
That's certainly not true by the time I came along, when it
contained the master copy of the disk boot block(s).
But I suppose it could have meant that early on and
the name just carried forward.

A quick skim of the V1-V7 manuals doesn't explain the name.

Anyone have any clearer memories than I do?  Doug or Ken or
anyone who was there when it was coined, do you still recall?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON