At 2023-01-02T14:34:22-0500, Rich Salz wrote: > The difference is that "make" need only run on your build systems. > Installation scripts need to run on customer systems. Surprisingly (not really), I don't agree with this, either. make, like tsort, is a generally useful tool that people misconceive as being limited in scope to traditional compile-and-link software development. A dab of imagination and familiarity with existing tooling can save one much wheel reinvention. That said I don't doubt that some vendors happily took these tools in particular (along with the compiler, of course) and locked them up within a "pro" or "development" tier. But all that teaches us is something we should have already known: free software is better than proprietary software. Why _shouldn't_ customer systems have make(1)? Regards, Branden