On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 18:51:07 -0800, Chris Hanson wrote: > On Jan 2, 2023, at 12:33 PM, Lars Brinkhoff wrote: >> The Stanford AI lab PDP-10 operating system had line editing built in, >> and the E editor integrated with this. > > Some operating systems like HP's MPE (and probably also Tandem > GUARDIAN) just expected the use of block-mode terminals for purposes > of I/O efficiency since interactive use was typically via > forms-based applications, and got line editing somewhat as a > side-effect. Guardian was interesting. The normal connection (from my point of view, anyway) was via a TATM (Tandem Asynchronous Terminal Multiplexer), which buffered the characters, but it didn't interrupt the processor until one of 4 configurable characters were entered (typically CR, abort, end of input). This didn't offer line editing, and the workarounds were painful. There was also a block mode, mainly for end user applications, though the “full screen” editor also used it. Greg -- Sent from my desktop computer. Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. See complete headers for address and phone numbers. This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php