At 2023-01-19T20:21:30+0000, segaloco via TUHS wrote: > In my own internal narrative at least, my stance is BSD is UNIX moreso > than not in that the code may have changed, there may not even be a > lick of AT&T in there (not true, handful of files, SCO lawsuit, etc.), > but it's still UNIX in design, much more than say something like Linux > could be considered. It's like if some architect inherited the Empire > State Building but was then told you can only do anything with it if > you replace everything. > > In the end, it's still going to be different than taking a plot of > land and deciding, hey, I want to build something like the Empire > State Building. In the former sense, you can start to replace the > windows, then the door, then the elevators, etc etc, over time, you > see a gradual transition of A into B, which leads to unmistakable > vestiges since they were actively being worked around and within in > the replacement process. Engineers who (stereotypically) disdain the study of humanities seem frequently to discover the Ship of Theseus problem. ;-) Maybe TOG has the best approach after all; if your supercargo can pony up the gold and your pilot can navigate your craft between Scylla and Charybdis, you get to call it the Ship of Theseus, even if many others are afloat. :D Regards, Branden