Hi Doug, At 2023-09-26T09:38:07-0400, Douglas McIlroy wrote: > > You didn't say, but I reckon this is a survey of man(7) macros that > > might be considered extensions? > > My presentation was too cute for my own good. I pointed out the > consistency of xS/xE for various x. Oh! > I apologized for EX/EE, which varied from that form It seems then that we are owed an apology from other quarters for `EQ`/`EN`. ;-) > (as UR/UE did more recently), There is also `MT`/`ME`, another groff 1.20 extension. > and I questioned OQ/CQ, which utterly breaks it. I proposed `QO`/`QC`, but yes, the same is true of that letter ordering. > The intended point was that one should have a strong rationale > for deviating from established custom, and thereby fostering > mental overload. Fair. I'm fine with renaming my proposed quotation macros `QS`/`QE`. Something I'm still mulling over is how one would specify to these new macros that they should not perform a break. Or maybe they should perform no break by default. That would seem to be the more common expected case. Regards, Branden