The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: "G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
To: Mychaela Falconia <falcon@freecalypso.org>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org, groff@gnu.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Documenting a set of functions with -man
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 14:27:58 -0500	[thread overview]

Hi Mychaela,

At 2024-06-25T11:15:32-0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote:
> G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > So maybe they had access to a CAT-8 after all, and used a whopping 5
> > different font plates.  Or they used a CAT-4 and had to compose many
> > pages in two passes.  That would have been mightily tedious.
>
> Are you certain that the bold in that book is real B font and not .bd
> construct?  I am not sure about the full K&R book, but the C Reference
> Manual doc in vol 2 seems to have been troff'ed with .bd for bold
> (while keepting R, I, S and adding CW), ditto for the UNIX Programming
> doc in the same volume that similarly uses CW for program listings.

I definitely am not certain, and I am mindful of the possibility that
that the C Language Reference part of the book was typeset at a
different stage of production than the rest of the volume.

C was still in relative ferment at that time, as we can tell from
<https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/cchanges.pdf>, a document that
was included in some printings of Volume 2 of the Seventh Edition Unix
manual.

Thanks for pointing out this alternative explanation.

Regards,
Branden