Hi Mychaela, At 2024-06-25T11:15:32-0800, Mychaela Falconia wrote: > G. Branden Robinson wrote: > > So maybe they had access to a CAT-8 after all, and used a whopping 5 > > different font plates. Or they used a CAT-4 and had to compose many > > pages in two passes. That would have been mightily tedious. > > Are you certain that the bold in that book is real B font and not .bd > construct? I am not sure about the full K&R book, but the C Reference > Manual doc in vol 2 seems to have been troff'ed with .bd for bold > (while keepting R, I, S and adding CW), ditto for the UNIX Programming > doc in the same volume that similarly uses CW for program listings. I definitely am not certain, and I am mindful of the possibility that that the C Language Reference part of the book was typeset at a different stage of production than the rest of the volume. C was still in relative ferment at that time, as we can tell from , a document that was included in some printings of Volume 2 of the Seventh Edition Unix manual. Thanks for pointing out this alternative explanation. Regards, Branden