On Saturday, April 25, 2020, 09:52:45 AM EDT, Hellwig Geisse wrote: > On Sa, 2020-04-25 at 09:11 -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote: > > Two very different things are happenging, but with the shorthand notation, > > they share an identical representation. And for what? To save three characters? > > The subject can be looked at from another angle. Consider > the call f(42). This might be read as first naming f (and > thus constructing a pointer to f) and then calling the > function which the pointer is pointing to. This is the way that I've taken to looking at it for the last 10 years or so. In fact, I see it as the same thing as an array. Specifically, I've taken to thinking of [] as a postfix indexing operator and () as a postfix calling operator, and the thing on the left is a pointer in both cases. BLS