The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: Book: "You Are Not Expected to Understand This"
@ 2022-11-14 16:58 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2022-11-14 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Clem Cole:

  Yep -- but not surprising.   There were a bunch of folks at DG that had
  worked on a single-level store system (Project Fountain-Head) that had
  failed [some of that story is described in Kidder's book].

====

Are you sure?  I thought Fountainhead was a Rand project.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

PS: if you don't get it, consider yourself fortunate.

* [TUHS] Re: Book: "You Are Not Expected to Understand This"
@ 2022-11-14 14:14 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2022-11-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

>> To be honest, I've forgotten many (most) of the details.  But that sounds
>> about right.  As I remember it, it was like SunOS.  The key point was that
>> the kernel only had one view of the memory system period, no FS
>> buffer cache etc...which was a departure from many of the traditional UNIX
>> implementations.    IIRC they did not support BSD's mmap -- but check the

> It sounds like they could have supported mmap() easily.  I'd love to see
> this kernel, it sounds to me like it was SunOS with nicely done SMP
> support.  The guy that said he'd never seen anything like it before or
> since, just makes me want to see it more.

"One view of the memory, period." That describes Multics.

Doug

* [TUHS] Book: "You Are Not Expected to Understand This"
@ 2022-11-13  0:02 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-11-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I spotted this when glancing through a book catalogue; well, with a title
like that how could I miss it?

Subtitled "How 26 Lines of Code Changed the World", edited by Torie Bosch
and illustrated by Kelly Chudler (can't say that I've heard of them).

``Programming is behind so much of life today, and this book draws together
  a group of distinguished thinkers and technologists to reveal the
  stories and people behind the computer coding that shapes our
  world.  From how university's [sic] databases were set up to
  recognise only two genders to the first computer worm and the
  first pop-up ad, the diverse topics reveal the consequences of
  historical decisions and their long-lasting, profound implications.
  Pb $34.99''

Lines of code, eh? :-)

Abbey's Bookshop: www.abbeys.com.au

Disclaimer: I have no connection with them, but I'll likely buy it.

-- Dave