You’re right, if you leave out the extra ESC it might work better! The "condom-with-a-hole-in-it” fix didn’t say exactly which characters to actually type, or even that you had to use emacs, but who in their right mind would use vi to edit a binary (and isn’t already running a root emacs anyway)? -Don > On 2 Nov 2017, at 19:32, Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > > Don Hopkins wrote: >> emacs /usr/ucb/sendmail (or whatever directory you keep all your >> stinky hippie software in), ^S DEBUG ESC M-b ^D ^Q ^@ ^X ^S (that is, >> null out the first character of the “DEBUG” command). > > This piqued my interest, because exiting incremental search with ESC > doesn't look familiar to me (unless in ITS). I tried it in a recent > Emacs, and just got "ESC M-b is undefined". Emacs 18 was contemporary > with the Morris Worm. Would it allow ESC?