The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] non-UNIX timesharing at Bell Labs ca 1972?
@ 2021-03-11 15:26 Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2021-03-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

In 1972, while in high school, I went to an Intel seminar on the 8008.
There I met a Bell Labs scientist who gave me a sample 8008 and invited
me for a visit at some NJ Bell Labs facility. That group had a
timesharing system of some kind, but it was not Unix. I was also given a
Bell Labs speech synthesis kit after meeting one of the speech
scientists who happened to be in on the same Saturday. I have searched
my attic but can't find further details. Would any of you alumni recall
what this other timesharing system might have been?

Dan

* Re: [TUHS] non-UNIX timesharing at Bell Labs ca 1972?
@ 2021-03-11 17:00 ` Mike Knell via TUHS
From: Mike Knell via TUHS @ 2021-03-11 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Halbert; +Cc: tuhs

> On 11.03.2021, at 16:26, Dan Halbert <halbert@halwitz.org> wrote:
>
> In 1972, while in high school, I went to an Intel seminar on the 8008. There I met a Bell Labs scientist who gave me a sample 8008 and invited me for a visit at some NJ Bell Labs facility. That group had a timesharing system of some kind, but it was not Unix. I was also given a Bell Labs speech synthesis kit after meeting one of the speech scientists who happened to be in on the same Saturday. I have searched my attic but can't find further details. Would any of you alumni recall what this other timesharing system might have been?

Not an alumnus of anything (alas, I am far too young and not clever enough), but maybe this was GECOS? (Origin of the name of the pw_gecos field in UNIX..)

Mike

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: [TUHS] non-UNIX timesharing at Bell Labs ca 1972?
@ 2021-03-11 17:45   ` Dan Halbert
From: Dan Halbert @ 2021-03-11 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 3/11/21 12:00 PM, Mike Knell wrote:
>> On 11.03.2021, at 16:26, Dan Halbert <halbert@halwitz.org> wrote:
>>
>> In 1972, while in high school, I went to an Intel seminar on the 8008. There I met a Bell Labs scientist who gave me a sample 8008 and invited me for a visit at some NJ Bell Labs facility. That group had a timesharing system of some kind, but it was not Unix. I was also given a Bell Labs speech synthesis kit after meeting one of the speech scientists who happened to be in on the same Saturday. I have searched my attic but can't find further details. Would any of you alumni recall what this other timesharing system might have been?
> Not an alumnus of anything (alas, I am far too young and not clever enough), but maybe this was GECOS? (Origin of the name of the pw_gecos field in UNIX..)
>
> Mike
I do not think it was GECOS. I have a memory of him demonstrating a
FOCAL- or BASIC-esque language running on some commercial minicomputer,
but it was not one of those and I don't think it was a DEC machine.
Perhaps it was not timesharing, but he showed it to me from his office
terminal, I think, not in a lab.