I think the real risk is not measured in dollars, but potential damage to reputations, ill will, the perception that it's not legal or kosher, etc. So I completely understand this well-founded caution. However if anyone was interested in approaching the license holders and seeing if licenses could be obtained or purchased, I'm interested in that. On 03/15/2023 04:30 PM, Warner Losh wrote: > > > On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 3:56 PM steve jenkin > wrote: > > "What “uses” would SysV codebase have now?" may be a better Q. > > > A System V release 2 might have very limited use (old VAXen are all it > ran on from > AT&T though there were at least a few ports: 68k for sure). > > The successor code base of OpenIndiana which forked from OpenSolaris > which was System Vr4 plus a bunch... And that's open... illumos is > still using that for its distribution... They'd have been totally > dead, imho, were it not for OpenZFS using illumos for so long as the > reference platform (that's changed, so now Linux and FreeBSD are the > reference platforms, though one of those two is more equal than the > other). > > But the successor code base being open isn't quite the same as System > V being open. There's no 'orphan exception' or 'abandonware rider' > that would allow us to distribute this without any legal risk. > > But there's the rub: what's the legal risk. The legal risk here is > that somebody could show up and assert they have rights to the > software, and that we're distributing it illegally. Actual damages > likely are near $0 these days, but statutory damages could become > quite excessive. But to get damages, one would likely need a lot of > money to fight it, and there's not any kind of real revenue stream > from System V today (let alone from System V r2). Plus, were this > successfully prosecuted, it's not like that would increase that > revenue stream: TUHS has no assets, so the current IP owner would have > to somehow assess there was blood to be had from this stone, which is > unlikely... So, how do you rate the risk of a low-probability, high > damage outcome vs the near certainty of a no-damage outcome. Since > it's none of our butt's but Warren's, he gets to decide his comfort > zone here. :) > > So the risk of adverse consequences is likely low, but not zero were > we to distribute this without a license to do so. There's plenty of > others that are doing so today, but that's between the others and > whatever IP owners > > Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice... > > Warner >