The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources
@ 2011-07-11 10:29 Michele Ghisolfo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michele Ghisolfo @ 2011-07-11 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Hi,

 I'm currently reading J. Lion's commentary of Unix Code Level Six.  It
is the most useful commentary to operating system kernel I have ever
read.

 It would be really useful to also have the source code of SVR4 kernel
for Intel x86.  Does anyone have that?

[parent not found: <1310385759.2145.18.camel@localhost.localdomain>]
* [TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources
@ 2011-07-12 13:24 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2011-07-12 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Contrary to a lot of the distant opinions here,
SVr4 was actually a joint project between USL
(the AT&T commercial-UNIX organization) and Sun.
The intent was to bring together the two different
commercial-UNIX cults (what Stu Feldman once referred
to as Sunni and Shiite UNIX).

I was at Bell Labs while this was going on, but
well off to the side of the effort, in a research
group where we tended (foolishly) to look down
our noses a bit at the whole thing.  I do know that
there were a lot of ruffled feathers within USL
about the allegedly overbearing Sun guys, and it
wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that there
were similar feelings going the other way.  On
the other hand there were some pretty smart
people involved at a technical level on all
sides.

Certainly it wasn't a one-way street, with BSD-isms
being injected into a USG system or vice versa.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] SVR4 x86 -- Sources
@ 2011-07-12 15:11 Michele Ghisolfo
From: Michele Ghisolfo @ 2011-07-12 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Contrary to a lot of the distant opinions here,
> SVr4 was actually a joint project between USL
> (the AT&T commercial-UNIX organization) and Sun.
> The intent was to bring together the two different
> commercial-UNIX cults (what Stu Feldman once referred
> to as Sunni and Shiite UNIX).
>
> I was at Bell Labs while this was going on, but
> well off to the side of the effort, in a research
> group where we tended (foolishly) to look down
> our noses a bit at the whole thing.  I do know that
> there were a lot of ruffled feathers within USL
> about the allegedly overbearing Sun guys, and it
> wouldn't surprise me a bit to hear that there
> were similar feelings going the other way.  On
> the other hand there were some pretty smart
> people involved at a technical level on all
> sides.
>
> Certainly it wasn't a one-way street, with BSD-isms
> being injected into a USG system or vice versa.
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

Thanks, Norman.  This clarify a lot my confusion about SysV.

I'm reading the J. Lions Commentary to V6 UNIX, the ancestor of all
UNIXes, including SysV (if I understood correctly).  The last Research
Unix release was Tenth Edition Unix.  Is the source code of
releases 8, 9 and 10 available?  Are there other commentaries of ancient
Research Unixes, like Lions book?

Thanks,
  --Michele

P.S. to Cyrille: Again, my apologies for the confusion.  I realized my
mistake just after I sent the mail.  I'm really sorry!