The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-21 19:45 Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2003-10-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whew.  Goes to show something about GCC backward compatibility.

>As a result, I've been giving serious consideration to porting it to
>Intel IA32 platforms. \x01It's much simpler than the unix I worked on
>until last year (Tru64, aka OSF/1 and Digital UNIX), and the 32V
>kernel is only a little bigger than the original FreeDOS kernel I
>wrote. \x01The Caldera license is pretty much a BSD license, which could
>be considered an open source license. \x01This means I should be able to
>work on it without worrying about IP, although I'd still need
>management approval.

It's basically the old (with advertising) BSD license, AFAICT.

>Should I undertake such an project, would there be enough interest to
>justify the effort?

I for one would be interested... :)

>Pat

-uso.

* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-30 12:57 David Presotto
From: David Presotto @ 2003-10-30 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold forwraded this to me:

> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:35:40 -0400
> From: Pat Villani <Pat.Villani at hp.com>
> To: tuhs at tuhs.org
> Subject: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
>
> Folks,
>
> I recently copied down the 32V source, and compiled the kernel with gcc.  Much
> to my surprise, most of it compiled.  I then split out the machine dependent
> versus the machine independent files (loose classification :-), and compiled
> again.  Naturally, in both cases, you could not actually build a kernel because
> there are vax specific .s files, but the individual C files compiled.  Not a bad
> start.
>
> As a result, I've been giving serious consideration to porting it to Intel IA32
> platforms.  It's much simpler than the unix I worked on until last year (Tru64,
> aka OSF/1 and Digital UNIX), and the 32V kernel is only a little bigger than the
> original FreeDOS kernel I wrote.  The Caldera license is pretty much a BSD
> license, which could be considered an open source license.  This means I should
> be able to work on it without worrying about IP, although I'd still need
> management approval.
>
> Should I undertake such an project, would there be enough interest to justify
> the effort?
>
> Pat
>
> --
> You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do. -- Henry Ford

He noted the following and asked if I'ld like it posted to this list:

	I see from subsequent mail that a project has been started.

	The members of this list seem to share some common characteristics:

	1. Some spare time for working with code.

	2. A willingness to hack on code.

	3. A desire to work with cleaner, smaller simpler versions of Unix,
	   instead of the modern, er, *full featured* open source systems
 	  (Linux, *BSD).

	I'd like to suggest that perhaps members of this list should check out
	Plan 9 From Bell Labs (http://plan9.bell-labs.com).  The Plan 9 developers
	have recently posted a request for help, for people to tackle some projects
	that need tackling.  Why should people here look at it?

	1. It's from Bell Labs: quality design and concepts guaranteed. (:-)

	2. It's an opportunity to move into the future, instead of hiding out
	   in the past.

	3. Plan 9 deserves good help.

	4. People who appreciate early Unix and current Plan 9 will be welcomed
	   warmly.

	So, check it out,

We sure would like more people using our system and our license is OSI
approved so it least has one stamp as open source.  It clearly is not as
simple 32V or our 10th edition unix.  However, it comes close and is way
simpler than either Linux or the current BSDs.

* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-29  9:01         ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-10-29  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just a short note to say I've compiled the libF77.a library archive.

I'll try the rest of the libraries, and note which ones compile cleanly and
which throw their hands up in horror.

Wesley Parish

--
Clinesterton Beademung - in all of love.
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"

* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-24 13:41       ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-10-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-10-22  8:10     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-10-22  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

--

@ 2003-10-21 14:00   ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-10-21 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <20031021020017.5B7961F4F@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2003-10-21  3:51 ` Phil Garcia
From: Phil Garcia @ 2003-10-21  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> <snip>
> I've been giving serious consideration to porting it to
> Intel IA32 platforms.  It's much simpler than the unix I worked on
> until last year (Tru64, aka OSF/1 and Digital UNIX), and the 32V
> kernel is only a little bigger than the original FreeDOS kernel I
> wrote.  The Caldera license is pretty much a BSD license, which
> could be considered an open source license.  This means I should be
> able to work on it without worrying about IP, although I'd still
> need management approval.  Should I undertake such an project, would
> there be enough interest to justify the effort?

I'd certainly be intrigued enough to run it.

* [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...
@ 2003-10-21  0:50 ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2003-10-21  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried the same with a few of the utilities and a make with the kernel files.

<shock and awe>Dependencies again</shock and awe> - with most of the utilities
the compile was easy, since their dependencies were easily filled by the
standard Linux C libraries.  Since many of the kernel dependencies depend on
the vax specific .s files and I don't know anything about the vax at the
moment, I decided to leave it until I _did_ know.  That's why I've been
asking stoopid questions on this list.

Well, if you're keen on it, I am too.  I need something to do over the
holidays.

Wesley Parish

--

@ 2003-10-20 13:35 Pat Villani