On 7/20/20 12:49 PM, Warner Losh wrote: > > You should look at the canonical tuhs archive at > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/ I'll do that. > So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the > edges), this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to > https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION. > I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some > light on: > > > > 1. Is it really pl 431? > > > Yes.  It is. Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation. > 2. How can I tell? > > > VERSION is always updated, so it is. If you are in doubt, you can look > at the patch files that's at > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/Patches/ and > they all update VERSION. Got it. > 3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk > images, but those are already installed)? > > > Yes. Well, almost. > https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/ has a > tape that's updated to 457, lacking only the last 12 changes. A most > current tape hasn't been regenerated, at least in the archives. A > quick search of github shows there's a few PiDP-11 oriented versions > but I've not looked closely at them. When folks 'regenerate' the tape, is it simply a matter of writing to the tape device from the patched disk inside the 211BSD instance or are there some arcane activities involved? > 4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document > lying around somewhere? > > > There's two or three efforts to create shell scripts to apply the > patches. I've not looked closely at them all yet... > > I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's > fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching > up to latest > > When my work is done, there will be a github repo that has all the > changes applied, one at a time which can be used to generate context > diffs or something else that can be pushed to the PDP-11s that can be > updated. Nice. You said something like this the other day, but at the time, I didn't quite get how relevant it would be. Now that I understand what you're talking about, it sounds great. Will -- GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF