The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 211BSD Version in the Unix Archive
@ 2020-07-20 16:45 Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2020-07-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Hi All,

I'm currently doing some work with 211BSD and the best version that I've
come across for my investigations is the one put together by Andre
Luvisi, based on the distro in the Unix Archive at
https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD

So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the
edges), this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to
https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION.
I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some light on:

1. Is it really pl 431?
2. How can I tell?
3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk
images, but those are already installed)?
4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document lying
around somewhere?

I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's
fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching up to
latest.

Thanks,

Will

--
GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462  7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF

* Re: [TUHS] 211BSD Version in the Unix Archive
@ 2020-07-20 17:49 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-07-20 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Senn; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM Will Senn <will.senn@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently doing some work with 211BSD and the best version that I've
> come across for my investigations is the one put together by Andre Luvisi,
> based on the distro in the Unix Archive at
> https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD

You should look at the canonical tuhs archive at
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/

> So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the edges),
> this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to
> https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION.
> I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some light on:

1. Is it really pl 431?

Yes.  It is.

> 2. How can I tell?

VERSION is always updated, so it is. If you are in doubt, you can look at
the patch files that's at
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/Patches/ and they
all update VERSION.

> 3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk images,
> but those are already installed)?

Yes. Well, almost.
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/ has a tape
that's updated to 457, lacking only the last 12 changes. A most current
tape hasn't been regenerated, at least in the archives. A quick search of
github shows there's a few PiDP-11 oriented versions but I've not looked
closely at them.

> 4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document lying
> around somewhere?

There's two or three efforts to create shell scripts to apply the patches.
I've not looked closely at them all yet...

> I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's
> fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching up to
> latest

When my work is done, there will be a github repo that has all the changes
applied, one at a time which can be used to generate context diffs or
something else that can be pushed to the PDP-11s that can be updated.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] 211BSD Version in the Unix Archive
@ 2020-07-20 18:03   ` Will Senn
From: Will Senn @ 2020-07-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 7/20/20 12:49 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> You should look at the canonical tuhs archive at
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/
I'll do that.

>     So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the
>     edges), this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to
>     https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION.
>     I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some
>     light on:
>

>     1. Is it really pl 431?
>

> Yes.  It is.
Excellent. Thanks for the confirmation.

>     2. How can I tell?
>

> VERSION is always updated, so it is. If you are in doubt, you can look
> at the patch files that's at
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/Patches/ and
> they all update VERSION.

Got it.

>     3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk
>     images, but those are already installed)?
>

> Yes. Well, almost.
> https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/ has a
> tape that's updated to 457, lacking only the last 12 changes. A most
> current tape hasn't been regenerated, at least in the archives. A
> quick search of github shows there's a few PiDP-11 oriented versions
> but I've not looked closely at them.
When folks 'regenerate' the tape, is it simply a matter of writing to
the tape device from the patched disk inside the 211BSD instance or are
there some arcane activities involved?

>     4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document
>     lying around somewhere?
>

> There's two or three efforts to create shell scripts to apply the
> patches. I've not looked closely at them all yet...
>
>     I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's
>     fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching
>     up to latest
>
> When my work is done, there will be a github repo that has all the
> changes applied, one at a time which can be used to generate context
> diffs or something else that can be pushed to the PDP-11s that can be
> updated.
Nice. You said something like this the other day, but at the time, I
didn't quite get how relevant it would be. Now that I understand what
you're talking about, it sounds great.

Will

--

@ 2020-07-20 17:06 Will Senn